zikzak23

Brooklyn Leathercraft Supplier?

Anyone know where the good place to go for hides/tools/hardware/etc is in or around Brooklyn, NY?

I see I can catch a 2hr+ commute to to Nyack to find a Tandy.

Google shows a few arts and craft places I'm about to go explore, but I'm skeptical.

Anyone got any pointers?

Thanks!

Edited by zikzak23

Mail order from Springfield Leather is good and over I think it's $75 it's free shipping.

Edited by Mike516

Right on. Thanks for the tip!

I wish I could find a place to go in and touch stuff.

It's been so long, and I'm just trying to get back into it. Feel like I wanna go walk around a brick and mortar to revive my memory of what I want/need in terms of leather, tools, etc. 

Now it was about a thousand years ago but I used to go to the leather shops in the garment district. These and a bunch of others like them were made from stuff I found there

0001.jpg

I found this page and it speaks the truth about help and in a way I hope it hasnt changed much.

http://www.shopthegarmentdistrict.com/2011/09/shopping-for-leather-and-suede-in.html

They were basically small dirty store fronts with wooden creaky floors and a musty smell and they had rolls and rolls of leather. Of course dont expect help or advice. The owners were often surly and at best inattentive. B&H photo used to be the same way and from what I understand hasnt changed much but they had everything camera and good pricing.

You can get help but dont expect a lot of it. I think they buy close outs and you just have to fish through the bins and old wooden racks and make your own decisions. However there were indeed bargains to be found there and things that you dont normally find or wouldnt have thought of but upon seeing might spark a project idea. It is ABSOLUTELY worth going to some of these shops and just fishing through the shelves. They were often closed on the weekends and many are owned or run by orthodox Jews so dont expect saturday hours but if you can get there during the week .. make a day of it and drop in from doorway to doorway. I have found some really cool things in those shops and the whole vibe, if you are a new NYER or never visited the garment district during the week is awesome. If you enjoy haggling you can further sweeten the pot but dont expect an easy roll over.

I miss NYC sometimes and this is one of the things I miss.

Now supplies ... unless something has changed there is no good place to buy supplies and such in the area. I ordered all my tools and such from tandy through catalogs but buying threads and leather at the local shops.

Alex

Edited by Boriqua

There are tons of leather suppliers in the garment district.  Obnoxiously, they tend to only be open 9-5 weekdays, but there are warehouses full of stuff to browse.  Some even have scrap bins, too, which is nice for practice.

I like to go to Global Leather, but I've heard good things about Leather, Suede, Skins and Impact Leather as well.