I don't see anybody doing this, at least not here on LW.  Is there just not enough demand?  People figure that leather is usually bought the thickness desired?

I'd buy a splitter, but simply can't find anything reliable.  WAY tired of spending money on tools, only to find that I have to sharpen, tune, or adjust it BEFORE I can use it. (Seriously, when did anyone buy a NEW car and get told it will run well once it's tuned up?!@#!!!).

I don't have need of this consistently anyway.  Just noticing that splitting isn't in the "services" list -- and I might take advantage of that were it available.

See, now there's a thought.  I would not ever be in the market to spend $26k on a splitter UNLESS I was hiring it out.  If it's just for me, then $26k buys about 130 sides of cowhide already split ;)

But I get what you're saying.  I don't even stick a project in the sewing machine without first checking stitch lengths and tension settings on a piece FROM THE SAME HIDE.

Having a splitter or two is I have to admit an essential piece for me.  My biggest competitor in the belt making area I split for quite regularly. What is starting to get me is I think he might be doing more belts now than me, he just ordered another 70 double shoulders cut into 38mm strips and spit for the croc belt backing. I only just done that amount for him last month. Anyway if anyone in Australia needs it done let me know and I will try and help. Precision no better than .1mm and max width about 15" . Can do beveled shaping possibly. Brian

70 shoulders at 38mm.. so tha's like 1,000 belts per month?  Tha's a lot o crocs!

Good to see this offered, though, and .1mm certainly close enough.

I assume you are talking about a big splitter as opposed to a bench splitter. All told I think I own 9 splitters. I use 5 of them regularly and just don't have room in my shop right now for the others.  The widest bench splitter I have is 8 inches I think. A couple years ago I bought an old 18" stationary blade splitter. I would LOVE to have a band knife splitter, but it wasn't really in the budget when I bought the big one, and this on was close to home so none of the associated hassles of buying from a long distance away.  It is at the point where the blade needs stropping at least. I am reluctant to do anything lest I can't get adjusted it back correctly. My bench splitters I can take the blade out and touch up every few months and get everything back to how it was before I took it out. I can't imagine not having a splitter. Sending leather out to be split would be cost prohibitive just in freight alone. Plus when I need something split I need it split NOW. I also would not want to split leather for other people. If someone would walk in and want a strap split to a specific thickness, that I would do, but large scale splitting for other leatherworkers, nah. Imo, a splitter is one of the most basic and essential tools a leatherworker can have. It was probably the second thing I bought for my shop that cost over a couple hundred bucks, the first being a stitcher of course. I realize that every situation is different, and many folks may not have the need for one that a shop like mine does, and the need may not justify the investment, but there's no way I could operate without at least several.

I certainly can see the value of a good splitter.  And if you have one that is hard to set depth, then I could see where a second one be worth having, to avoid changing depths every time.  Maybe even an extra blade for each, so you can use it while sharpening one.

If I need whole hides split, I'd just order the weight I need.  The purpose of a splitter would be for lap skives, for belt and strap "keeper" loops from the same hide as the strap, or for reducing the volume of hides needed on hand and such.

But they're tough to find.  The old ones are either spoken for or beat to death and no longer serviceable, and the new ones weren't built "like they used to".  End result, you can pay for "poop + warranty" (ever notice there's almost always a "guarantee" with that cheap junk?), or you can pay a mint for that one good one you might find.. to the point you could have made several OTHER arrangements.

Since there are "services" for clicking, sewing, cutting, web design, blahblahblah, I wondered why no splitting.  

AT THE MOMENT, I have a few pieces.. maybe adds up to 2 sides ... which sits there.  I would have used it up by now if it was 3.5 oz instead of 7.5 oz.  So, not pitching it out, but not worth the cost of more tooling, either.  And certainly not worth the aggravation of ordering yet another tool and finding out I have to partially assemble it, and then I have to sharpen it BEFORE I can use it (and I think we ALL know that one).

Now, if a guy was doing 1000 belts / month like Brian's talking about, that ALONE would justify multiple splitters.

Edited by JLSleather

BUILT IN sharpening?  Suueee weeeeet..  As a former tool-and-die man, I've sharpened far more edges than I care to think about!  

I've used a dozen (at least) different models of surface grinders, sharpening down to .0005" routinely, so I'm a bit amused when I get folks "instructing" me on sharpening a straight blade.  But when I hear "self-sharpening", this is cause to listen ;)

Then again, since I'm not in the market for $25k equipment (did I mention married with children?), maybe I just splittin' hairs :rofl:

Edited by JLSleather

12 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I certainly can see the value of a good splitter.  And if you have one that is hard to set depth, then I could see where a second one be worth having, to avoid changing depths every time.  Maybe even an extra blade for each, so you can use it while sharpening one.

If I need whole hides split, I'd just order the weight I need.  The purpose of a splitter would be for lap skives, for belt and strap "keeper" loops from the same hide as the strap, or for reducing the volume of hides needed on hand and such.

But they're tough to find.  The old ones are either spoken for or beat to death and no longer serviceable, and the new ones weren't built "like they used to".  End result, you can pay for "poop + warranty" (ever notice there's almost always a "guarantee" with that cheap junk?), or you can pay a mint for that one good one you might find.. to the point you could have made several OTHER arrangements.

Since there are "services" for clicking, sewing, cutting, web design, blahblahblah, I wondered why no splitting.  

AT THE MOMENT, I have a few pieces.. maybe adds up to 2 sides ... which sits there.  I would have used it up by now if it was 3.5 oz instead of 7.5 oz.  So, not pitching it out, but not worth the cost of more tooling, either.  And certainly not worth the aggravation of ordering yet another tool and finding out I have to partially assemble it, and then I have to sharpen it BEFORE I can use it (and I think we ALL know that one).

Now, if a guy was doing 1000 belts / month like Brian's talking about, that ALONE would justify multiple splitters.

You gotta get to an auction or a flea market once in awhile buddy! I think I gave $10 or $15 for my Chase splitter off a flatbed full of junk at a flea market. The blade was not sharp, but in perfect condition and I sharpened it myself. It won't do lap skives, but I use my Randall Keystone or my skiver for that. The Keystone cost me the most besides my big splitter and I think I gave $350 for it, sharp and ready to go. The skiver I gave $60 for on an auction. My 6" crank-through cost me $100 I think. The blade wasn't sharp but I traded a newer Osborne round knife for the sharpening.  $60 bucks for my Spitzler (?) Might have the name wrong on that one.  If you keep your eyes open and know where to look, they're out there. Another one of those things that once you have it, you'll wonder how in the world you ever did without it.  I'd never want to split a whole hide either, and buy my leather the weight I need it. But I might have a little piece of scrap that's just the perfect size and temper for a particular project, but it's a little too thick. Just run it through the splitter and I'm ready to rock n roll.  But everyone's needs are different, so I "get" not wanting to invest big bucks in something you don't feel you can justify.

If I had seen 'em for $100, I'd have bought 3 ;)

I have been lucky to pick up both of mine 2nd hand for about $5,000au each About $4,000us dollars at a guess. Both are pretty old and done a lot of work but they are built to last and have served me well. I do tend to butcher machines a bit as necessary and it helps to be mechanically minded but a couple of pics should  help. The Comoga I mostly save for doing the croc backstraps and here you see the special shaped rubber rollers I made to enable me to run these backstraps through. This part I can alter for various width belts. The Albeko is great in that the waste comes to the front for ease of getting rid of. This one does most of our work for splitting wallet pockets etc but also handles heavy belt backing leather. Both have sharpening stones that enable you to bring the blade forward to touch which normally is done within a few seconds. Thickness is done by moving the roller at the top. I must say that the time saved in sharpening and splitting time (about 10 secs for a belt) makes these a very good investment.

DSC07949_resize.JPG

DSC07951_resize.JPG

DSC07952_resize.JPG

DSC07957_resize.JPG

Omg RockyAussie, I have splitter envy BAD! :)

You said anything that will make my job easier and FASTER---- Now I feel like a torment. Oh well Rock on

Would love just one of those machines.  

I don't really need one, but still want one.    

Need a workshop to put it in too.........       :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's another thing there....

New toys to play with:  $5,000 U.S.

New floor space for toys:  $$30,000 U.S.

:rolleyes2:

Haha that made me laugh JLS. Too true!  And I WISH I could build the space I need for $30,000!

'Round heah.. you couldn't BUILD for that, but you could EXTEND for that ;)

I always run out of room but here is my latest solution to needing more space and security.I built it myself from two 40 foot shipping containers which cost second hand about 3,500 each (The big ones work out a lot cheaper per square meter) and the steel for the rest cost about $11,000. The apex joins I copied the design from my larger factory and got them laser cut and folded. They are for 200mm C channel and in total I went 7.5meters wide between containers.I can send the DWG files for the laser cutting if needed. This is for a cyclone area and was put to the test at the highest rating on Feburary 2015 and came through fine. It may be of some help to think outside the norm. Regards Brian

IMGP8410_resize.JPG

DSC07996_resize.JPG

DSC07988_resize.JPG

DSC07990_resize.JPG

DSC07992_resize.JPG

DSC07994_resize.JPG

I hope this isn't off topic or bad form but if you are needing smaller peices split I found a place called McCarty Manufacturing in Michigan, he can split up to 16" I think he said.   I sent him out a bunch of odds and ends earlier in the year to be split down to make wallets with, if I recall his rate was $40 an hour or a $25 minimum.

Well, that works for folks up that way, so thanks for the info.

For myself, at $40/hr + shipping both ways on leather i already paid shipping on, maybe just buy me a piece of the weight I need ;)  I really don't need "splitting service", I was just wondering why there were people offering clicking, sewing, design, web site and graphics, but no splitting.  Oh, well ....