My brother in law wanted me to build a purse for my sister for their anniversary, no matter how many time I tell people I don't make purses they still ask.  So I finally relented and told him I'd give it a try.  He wanted a fairly large bag since she always seems to have the kitchen sink in her purse and wanted it in dark brown, he also wanted it to be a saddle bag style purse.  So knowing absolutely nothing about purses I recruited my wife as a technical advisor and set out mocking up out of manilla folders which would later be used as templates.  I used a sponge to apply the copious amount of dye which gave a mottled effect that my wife loves.  By the way the leather is 2-4oz economy grade tooling leather from Tandy that was on sale dirt cheap (I think it was $39/side), there's some bug bite scars and other imperfections but I think it adds character to the project.  So the hardware is all brass except for the copper rivets.  Anyway after all that hand stitching I have absolutely no plans to build another one unless I buy a sewing machine.  There's a couple of small issues with the project like the gusset ended up being just about 1/2" short and the closure not being quite centered but other than that I'm happy with the results.  You guys tell me what you think.

Front_zpsgeesufmo.jpg

Back_zps39mtpszm.jpg

Left%20Side_zpszdtbbn5e.jpg

Right%20side_zpsfcriblm4.jpg

Inside_zps6irlpbns.jpg

front%20final%201_zpsp27tth0e.jpg

Stu

I said the same things last year, and I have since made about 15 purses.

That's beautiful. I would love to see pictures of the inside. I'm guessing it's unlined? 

On 6/13/2016 at 8:53 PM, Colt W Knight said:

I said the same things last year, and I have since made about 15 purses.

Boy I really hope that's not the case for me.  This thing gave me nightmares, I'm much more comfortable making holsters.

On 6/14/2016 at 9:21 PM, Wdfd908 said:

That's beautiful. I would love to see pictures of the inside. I'm guessing it's unlined? 

It is unlined and basically is a big brown rectangular box on the inside

Inside.JPG

Edited by stu925

I think you did a great job for your first bag and not using a pattern!  Where do I order 10 of them?  Hmmm?  heh...just kidding.  I know you are through with purses. 

By the way, that color job is really beautiful.  I love the depth it gives the bag!

3 hours ago, MarlysRae said:

I think you did a great job for your first bag and not using a pattern!  Where do I order 10 of them?  Hmmm?  heh...just kidding.  I know you are through with purses. 

By the way, that color job is really beautiful.  I love the depth it gives the bag!

Thank you, the mottling of the color was a happy coincidence.  I was looking for a way to spread dye quickly rather than using wool daubers.  I ended up using a piece of car wash sponge which really helps get the dye on the leather quickly and after the first coat I liked the mottling so much I decided to quit while I was ahead.

Stu

VERY NICE!!  When I make them l will usually line them with pig skin.  As far as it not closing centered that could be beaus you were out of square 1/16 or 1/8 inch. It could also that strap is is off set and could be pulling the gusset opposite direction. A good way to fix that is to put the rivet through with a backing.  I do a lot of these and the best way if using D-ringgs on the gussets to get the flap to close on center

Edited by jroberts3001

On 6/17/2016 at 11:07 AM, jroberts3001 said:

VERY NICE!!  When I make them l will usually line them with pig skin.  As far as it not closing centered that could be beaus you were out of square 1/16 or 1/8 inch. It could also that strap is is off set and could be pulling the gusset opposite direction. A good way to fix that is to put the rivet through with a backing.  I do a lot of these and the best way if using D-ringgs on the gussets to get the flap to close on center

I thought about lining it, I even have some pigskin here from an earlier project but ultimately time became an issue and forced me to go without lining it.