robb01

Consew no longer good quality?

Still shopping for a machine, pretty much was set on a Consew 206rb5, contacted a dealer who mentioned that Consew is no longer as good as it used to be, and they recommended the 206 clone from Seiko. 

Any thoughts on Seiko, hardly see them mentioned here. 

I've heard people say that before.All I have to say is we sell approx. 3-5 a mon & they hold up really good just like most machines will if they're oiled & taken care of.We sold 2 to NASA last year & they called a month ago & ordered 2 more!

The dealer might only had this machine in stock

1 hour ago, robb01 said:

Still shopping for a machine, pretty much was set on a Consew 206rb5, contacted a dealer who mentioned that Consew is no longer as good as it used to be, and they recommended the 206 clone from Seiko. 

Any thoughts on Seiko, hardly see them mentioned here. 

I've heard that about every brand out there. It all depends on who you talk to and what they want to sell. The newer Consews I've worked on at upholstery shops are fine. Seiko has even made some models of Consews in the past, not sure about now. As Bob said, if a machine is properly adjusted and maintained, just about any brand can perform well.

Regards, Eric

Tho not the same machine as being discussed, I have a Seiko STH-8BLD-3 flatbed and it is an excellent machine. No issues and runs very smooth. I believe it to be one of my better purchases.

11 minutes ago, Hockeymender said:

Tho not the same machine as being discussed, I have a Seiko STH-8BLD-3 flatbed and it is an excellent machine. No issues and runs very smooth. I believe it to be one of my better purchases.

That is the one they recommended 

Isn't the 206 a lower end model of the walking foot? The 226 is up one I believe..When I bought my first Consew 226 it had Seiko parts.. back in 1972 ish... Before the big Chinese invasion. So now even Seiko and or Consew might have Chinese parts etc. They might be the same machine... when I  bought my Juki LU1510-7 machine and I knew they were having Chinese make some copies. I insisted the machine be made in Japan or I'd return it fast. It came with the sticker out front Made in Japan. Maybe the Seiko might have some thing like that. Best thing is to try them and or a dealer that will stand behind it. I noticed parts on the Consew back in 72 weren't as nice as the 211 or 111's we used. Probably worse today. I know my 1510 has plastic stuff that I'm not thrilled at. 

Edited by Tulsaman

Seiko clone Consew machines? Best laugh I have had in years!!!!!!

Originally Consew - short for Consolidated Sewing - was just a marketing arm of Seiko. The machines were built on the same production line with different badging.

I do not know what the business relationship is now but calling a machine a "clone" when it comes from the original manufacturer is pretty stupid.

+1 Darren :)

I get a grin from that as still very new to the game person, It may well be true Seiko cloned "but" if true I would easily say better than original.

That's just my opinion and can be like shoes everybody has some!

Floyd

Consew 206RB series, when introduced in the 70s, was sold outside of the US as a Seiko brand, model STH-8BL, then STH-8BLD, and then as STH-8BLD-3.  When brought into the the US at time, as an exclusive dealer, Consew would have their name brand and model.

For some reason, I know a lot about that machine, and the people who put in together. They took some elements of the Adler safety clutch and forget, but a lot went into the bobbin case opening lever thingy too.    

1 hour ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Consew 206RB series, when introduced in the 70s, was sold outside of the US as a Seiko brand, model STH-8BL, then STH-8BLD, and then as STH-8BLD-3.  When brought into the the US at time, as an exclusive dealer, Consew would have their name brand and model.

For some reason, I know a lot about that machine, and the people who put in together. They took some elements of the Adler safety clutch and forget, but a lot went into the bobbin case opening lever thingy too.    

We bought 20 of the Consew 327RB1's back in 1984.  2 needle split needle bars. I STILL have a few left in service, and trust me, we ran them hard, including a 10 year contract making Levi 501's, which can kill the best of machines.

Regards, Eric

15 hours ago, gottaknow said:

We bought 20 of the Consew 327RB1's back in 1984.  2 needle split needle bars. I STILL have a few left in service, and trust me, we ran them hard, including a 10 year contract making Levi 501's, which can kill the best of machines.

Regards, Eric

Everyone has a base model, mine are Seikos.  I've meet Mr. Seiko, if you will who was with us working the Consew booth at a trade show with my Dad and I.  Again, this is when Consew was selling the Seiko line, some time ago.  

I know in Seiko Divers watches ..you can get one "made in Japan" or the same model but made in Taiwan or somewhere. The Japan one is usually tuned better or a few things to give it just a bit better watch. I wonder if it's this way with the 206... Seiko..slightly better parts or tuned better..vs Conso made in ????   Hopefully Conso has Made in Japan on it still..  But thinking.. Swiss Made  trade mark doesn't mean 100% Swiss Made.     Google Swiss Made.. or better yet "Made in Japan" Which is more purer to the meaning today??

Levis were ( maybe still are ) made all over the world..in official Levi factories or official "contracted to Levis" factories, Eric ( gottaknow ) mentioned recently that they had run a contract to produce Levi 501s..I know that wranglers and many other jeans brands, and very many big name leather garment brands do not make all their own garments, many are made in Asia, but say that they are made somewhere else closer to "home" or "home"..some production may be, the rest is "badged" "made in xxx" or "made in xx" or "made in xxxxxx"

The company ( who is not in France ) who makes the things I design, asked me if I wanted all production runs that they make of my designs to have "made in France" labels sewn in..or sent separately for me to sew them in..they make for many very well known "brand names" all over the world, they said that 90% of their customers
have the "made in USA" or "made in France" etc labels sewn in ( the company is Asian, based in Asia, they only manufacture in Asia ) ..customs ( anywhere ) never check as long as it is not "fake"..and as long as the "brands" are the big guys..

The customers who have the labels sent separately are not big enough to feel confident about taking the risk of a control by their customs officials..

My stuff says designed in France if it isn't actually made in France..

There is a lot of stuff ( including leather goods ) on Etsy too that is not made where it says it is..

I usually figure that the "Made in USA" label means the label was put on in the USA. The only time there is going to be a problem is when the owners of the trademark complain to customs, and they are not going to complain about products they are selling themselves.

China is weird, what appears to be the same product may be made in one of the most modern robotic factories in the world, and by 3 guys making it by hand  in a mud floor hut. It does not help if you have no idea which you are buying.

Sorry for adding to the drift...

I've got a Seiko STH-8BLD-3 and it is a superb machine, my mate has the consew 206RB-3, both machines side by side are identical and some parts on the consew are stamped Seiko ! Both come out of Japan as far as I know.

The latest Consew 206RB-5, I am now lead to believe, are now made in China. but the machines are still basically the same.

2 hours ago, banjo48 said:

I've got a Seiko STH-8BLD-3 and it is a superb machine, my mate has the consew 206RB-3, both machines side by side are identical and some parts on the consew are stamped Seiko ! Both come out of Japan as far as I know.

The latest Consew 206RB-5, I am now lead to believe, are now made in China. but the machines are still basically the same.

Trust me, 206RB-3 and STH-8BLD-3 are not identical mechanically, were not made in the same factory.  

Just to add I have the Seiko STH8-BLD-3 and it is made in Japan and all the parts are stamped made in Japan as well. It is an excellent machine

Recently a customer brought me a brand new Seiko 132k6 style machine as he was having some issues and the dealer is 200km away.

The badge said "made in Japan" but the body casting was Chinese at it has the standard issue with the casting being incorrectly machined so the plate that retains the outer presser foot in its well is about 2mm higher on one side than the other so the outer presser foot wobbles around all over the place.

Also the linkage on the conrod to the front feed dog bar had about 3mm of slop in it and could not be adjusted.

He paid $2000 extra for a Japanese machine and got one made in China