Sign in to follow this  
helena

not feeding material adjusted feed regulating spindle head

6295597061834706450?pid=6295597061834706Going insainer I have adjusted the feed regulating spindle head thinking it somehow got locked in a bad adjustment.

When I got the singer 153k 103 as it is in sweden the stitch regulator "thumb screw" was out so the numbers where to th rigth of the cut out. the groves or spiral tread that guides the set screw down pushing and locking the metal rod inplace where damaged so it could not be guided in once I got past that I can feel turning the adjusting screw how it can now pusch it out.

Regardless is it safe to assume that the longest stitch 6 to the inch in this case is the feed driving eccentric bouncing off the thickest part of the rod? and if so why can I not make it feed just for a stitch by hand turning the wheel.

I just wanted to sew...so I whent ahead and adjusted the feedbar with my limited/non existing knowledge about sewing machines this is maddening.som previoues clown lost a screw however the never one seem to hold the tapered gib and does not bind the tapered gibb at all.

so now I am just frustrated not understanding what and how to adjust this..

this has alternating pressers in addition to compund feed so it is indeed a walking foot.

This is a common problem with the 153's. I blame a poor design and people forcing it. Anyway, you can still adjust the stitch length under the cover just to the left of the handwheel. There are two hex head bolts on a flange that you simply loosen and the two flanges move separate from the other. When the bolts are loosened slightly, you can rotate the two flanges independent from the other. Move it, thighten them back up and then test. If the stitches get smaller, move it the other direction. Don't take the small bolts all the way out. I have a picture of this somewhere, and I'll attach it to this post if I can find it.

Regards, Eric

Take out screw BB & turn CC in for longer or out for shorter.

153w102.jpeg

Edited by CowboyBob

24 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

Take out screw BB & turn CC in for longer or out for shorter.

153w102.jpeg

Thanks Bob, I forgot about the two set screws, one on top of the other. These have to be loose to make the adjustment. If there's a broken thread where the spindle sits, you can't adjust the stitch length as it was designed. More coffee!

Regards, Eric

Thanks I do have been adjusting it and it does not do anything I have the same manual in paper print,Did all adjustments there is but only punching one hole with the needle...grrimageproxy (1).php

Ayy More coffe Eric and Cowboybob :) Thanks

I do have been adjusting it and it does not do anything I have the same manual in paper print,Did all adjustments there is but only punching one hole with the needle...grr !

imageproxy (1).php

Try to turn screw CC out then push DD in all the way,then turn CC back down & see what happens.It won't work unless DD is pushed all the way in.

The shaft will get forced out if it is in the "master" setting where you can govern it to not sew a longer stitch than desireble.If i do the same with it set to 8 leaving it hella loose or pinning it down to the rod itself the material will not feed just feet hopping on the feeddog.

like there is no adjusting it that is why I was thinking that perhaps it is binding 

the feed fork so there is no rocking movement just up and down bouncing.

I was contemplating just trying to get one adjustment but even though I can get it to be stable at say 7 any adjustment shows no forwarding movement of material or feed dog not working away from the operator just feedog going up and down.

This is how it looks regardless of my adjusting Here is a movie of my trobles

You can always take shaft DD out & get a little longer shaft & then just use the screws CC & BB to adjust the stitch length.

Unscrew the spindle and inspect the large threads where the spindle turns. If there's a broken thread,you won't be able to adjust your stitch length. There is a way to get around this problem which I'll post some pictures to show you.  I have several of these machines. 

Regards, Eric 

One thing to look for also if the  pointed end of DD si worn off.  I have seen that happen before as well.

glenn