nycnycdesign

Landis Model 15 Operation

Hey everyone,

Picked up this old Landis Model 15 from a buddy down in Kentucky.

It looks like your average 3-1 with what looks like only 2 of the 3 functions. It has a cutter and a skiver/splitter. I've had the blade on the skiver reshaped and its mighty sharp.

Managed to get it to skive to a feather on heavier 8+ oz leathers but I'm curious if anyone has any idea if it can be set up to skive down thinner leathers in the 3-5oz range.  I understand its primary function is for cobblers working soles but I figured I'd reach out just in case.

Cheers all

splitter1.jpg

splitter2.jpg

splitter3.jpg

Sure should be able to, the adjustment screw on the back goes from the frame up through the yoke that holds the bottom feedroller. Loosen that adjustment to raise the bottom roller so it will engage the thinner leather. You might need to take a turn or so on the spring tensioning screw to add a but more pressure, might not need to depending on how tight the spring is adjusted now.

Thank you Bruce. I gave it a go and the rollers engaged the leather well. Unfortunately as the leather passes through it slides over the top of the blade. I played with the set of thumb screws in the back that adjusts the height and andgle of the blade and it's still not cutting. I'll try and get a video or some more pics later. 

Back in the day they can get away with alittle advertising hipe.It does 3 things cuts,bevels & skives, so yes you have what Landis called a 3 in 1.

Thanks Bob! Was actually going to give you a call soon about a skiving machine. Still not having any luck with this Landis unfortunately. With enough fiddling I can get it to skive heavy vegtan in the 8oz+ range but never anything lighter. Any thoughts?

One thing I am seeing in your pictures is the blade is sitting a little back. On the black yoke that holds the feed roller the outside has a "stop" to slide the blade up against. On yours I can see a gap of maybe 1/16" between the blade edge and stop. What I do is slide by blade up to touching the stop. adjust my back screw to hold it there. Then I back off that screw maybe 1/4 turn so the blade edge is very close but not binding against the stop.The closer to the stop the blade edge is then the better they will feed directly into the blade. Sometimes you may have a blade that the bevel is uneven and not centered in the thickness of the blade. the thinner leather wants to ride over or under the blade. Try flipping the blade and see if that makes a difference.    

Also the blade needs to be SHARP as a razor.