vera

How to find the agent

I think what you are looking for, is called a Manufacturers Representative.

They are companies or individuals who will represent you to various Retailers or Wholesalers. They have established connections with all these people depending on their niche in Marketing. Some even deal specifically with Leather, or Art, etc.

They are easily found in phonebooks or by Google. They are not easy to get to represent you. Many want only to deal in big numbers, not small craftsman. But if you keep contacting them, eventually you will get one to Rep for you.

Good Luck.

For piece-work, you're probably better off representing yourself. Build a small portfolio of your work and carry it with you. Make a few items that are commonly used, like satchels, wallets, purses. Every chance you get, show people your work. If you specialize in something, locate a local dealer and ask to sell a few pieces through that store to establish your name and work.

For over 20 years I struggled with the representatives, they were good, but change products as often as they change underwear.

I was so lucky one of the local Western Stores had some of my stuff in it an another sales rep seen it. Loved it an next thing i know I am exclusive with a 10 store chain that will take everything i can make.

It is so great for me cause I can work at my own pace.

One of the other places though I had picked up wholesale customers was eBay. They would see my stuff an I always say "wholesale inquiries welcome'.

If its for your one-off art pieces; I would just represent myself and have a great story for each piece.

For off the shelf type stuff: I think the structure of retail is changing. I really think "wholesale" will be a thing of the past in the near future. To me there is a ton of risk from a retail store operator point of view; Order 100 units of "xyz" and hope you can move them. There is a lot of risk from a manufacturing point of view as well; you are committed to the order AND the terms of the deal. If the retailer doesn't move the products; you could be getting them back or you may need to return a percentage of the sale, for example. Your committed either way and discounts don't always work as we've seen this year.

Direct to Consumer, which seems like a plethora of people do here, is a GREAT way to make it work. The rise of informal business is going to dominate in the near future. To operate a formal business with a store front and all the associated fees and taxes is not always necessary. In fact, if you really think about it, most businesses could operate from a garage rather easily. Cutting out the government as a middle man is a great way to "vote." I'm not advocating cheating on your taxes, you still need to claim all the associated income and expenses. I'm merely pointing out that we can change a lot of governmental bad behaviour and create sustainable businesses by cutting out the middle men in a legal manner; from retail representatives/buyers to the fee and sales tax collectors.

Edited by ttownfire