stickandtin

Juki 1541S bobbin case problem

Wife was merrily sewing along and all of a sudden bobbin thread started binding and breaking. Took bobbin case out and couldn't pull thread. Took bobbin out and thread was bound up in bobbin. Unwound several feet of thread, put bobbin back in case and put back in machine. Tried sewing a couple of stitches and same thing happens. Thread breaks. Take bobbin case out and can't pull thread off bobbin. Take bobbin out again and thread is bound up on bobbin. Wind new bobbin, put back in machine. Same thing happens. Take bobbin case out, remove bobbin and inspect the case. Inside there is a blue black metal disc looking thing with little arms. Arms look worn and maybe bent up. Take the disc out to inspect, now I can't get it back in. Is this disc damaged? Which way does it go back in? Thanks for any help

image.jpeg

Ok, got the disc back in the bobbin case but bobbin turns a little and sticks. Then I can't pull any bobbin thread. I think the holes in the bobbin are catching on those little arms and not allowing the bobbin to turn. Does this make any sense? What's the purpose of that disc anyway?

Edited by stickandtin

Just carefully try it without the disk I have a pfaff which I use with a disc like that and 1 without the disk and both work fine. The disc just takes out some of the free play and if it has become bent than it will be no good. Make sure there is no catching on the bobbin without the disc in.Does the bobbin turn anticlockwise when you pull the thread?

Took disc out. Inserted bobbin and bobbin still binds and won't turn. I think I may have found the problem. Looks like the needle could have hit the bobbin case and created a little dimple inside the bobbin case and that is what the bobbin is binding on. I'll take a pic of what I'm looking at and post.

This is the little dimple I'm seeing. The safety clutch did pop right before all this started happening. Wife was sewing over several layers of a marine vinyl seam.

image.jpeg

That'll do it! Time to get out the dremel tool or get a new bobbin basket. 

Thanks Uwe. Have any idea what caused the needle to hit the basket like that? 

I'm guessing the bobbin case wasn't seated properly inside the hook and came loose. There's a second dimple just above the big one. The needle should never be anywhere those spots. When you insert the bobbin case on a horizontal axis bobbin, make SURE it snaps into place. You have to pull up the little tab to hold the bobbin case (this also hold the bobbin inside the case) then insert the bobbin case into the hook and let go of the tab. You should feel and and hear it "snap" into place.  If the bobbin case comes loose and starts to rotate while you're sewing, all manner of bad, expensive things will happen. 

That black thingy is to prevent backlash. Backlash occurs when you stop sewing suddenly and the momentum of the bobbin unwinds thread inside the bobbin case. The little arms press against the bobbin acting like a brake for the bobbin. High speed garment machines must have that operational or you have a continual mess. 

As for your bent bobbin case, find a socket that fits closely to the inside diameter of the bobbin case and simply use a small ball peen hammer to straighten the case. No real need to replace it unless it's cracked. This happens everyday in the factory. I have a special insert made for doing this, but a socket works fine. 

Regards, Eric 

Now that is something worth learning and I must say that gottaknow's input and Uwe"s into this forum alone makes it worth visiting. That tip is well worth remembering.

10 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Now that is something worth learning and I must say that gottaknow's input and Uwe"s into this forum alone makes it worth visiting. That tip is well worth remembering.

Yes, this is good info. Must remember this.

This may sound crazy, but I have at times (when bobbin spins without a backlash spring) cut my own little disk from a piece of paper and inserted it in where the backlash spring sits. Crazy maybe, but it works. I don't have so much of a problem when using paper sided bobbins, pre-wound. It's the metal bobbins that spin like that. I really dislike those backlash springs and pull them all out of my bobbin cases.

2 hours ago, suzelle said:

This may sound crazy, but I have at times (when bobbin spins without a backlash spring) cut my own little disk from a piece of paper and inserted it in where the backlash spring sits. Crazy maybe, but it works. I don't have so much of a problem when using paper sided bobbins, pre-wound. It's the metal bobbins that spin like that. I really dislike those backlash springs and pull them all out of my bobbin cases.

Great point. Also place one drop of oil on the paper. Helps a lot. Now before everyone stuffs their bobbin cases, you have to check that the bobbin tension is the same with whatever you insert. Too thick and your bobbin tension will get too tight. Also, aluminum bobbins backlash less than steel, simply from the weight.

Regards, Eric

Here's my bobbin case repair stash for horizontal bobbin cases. The tool for straightening bent cases is shown there. I have several, but I think this one's from the 70's and was sold by Singer. There are adjustment screws in the antique Singer needle box in an attempt to contain them.

Regards, Eric

IMG_2167.JPG

Edited by gottaknow

Tried the socket approach to getting rid of the dimple. My sockets have rounded edges so couldn't get close enough to the dimple. Went with the dremel tool and had success polishing off that dimple. Put bobbin back in basket and everything works perfectly. Wife is sewing merrily along again. Thanks everyone for the help.

Hey Eric or anyone,

Do you know which way the little black tin thing goes in?  It seems that it is convex/concave and I'm trying to figure out which way it goes in.

Kyle

When it is in correctly, "the little arms" should be sticking up slightly nearer to you ( and therefore the bobbin ) than to the base of the case..it is the arms that touch the bobbin, and prevent the "backlash", not the centre of the disc.
HTH