plasmaguy

Reversing machines... a must have or not

Good morning all,

This is my first post to a very information packed forum !!! Leatherworknet ROCKS !!!!

I am venturing out into the world of industrial sewing machines and am finding that Singer made commercial/industrial machines with out a reverse. For leather sewing is a reverse absolutely needed?

Thanks,

Tom

No..not absolutely required, ( you can instead use variants of "poor man's reverse" ..make 2 or 3 stitches, let needle rise and clear the work, lift foot / feet slightly, pull work towards you so that original 1st hole is again in line with needle and then lower foot/ feet and needle and stitch over those 2 or 3 stitches again ..then do the equivalent at the end of your sewn run to "lock off" ..another way is to begin with two or 3 stitches, then with the needle still in the material, lift the foot/ feet a little, swivel the material 180 degrees and lower the foot/ feet , then continue on over the stitches you had made..either way will "lock" the seam ends )..but reverse is very useful to have to avoid that extra "manipulation"..For years machines did not have reverse, stuff still got made, ( using variants of those methods ) and very well made it was too..

If you have reverse, important is that the machine is adjusted so that the needle goes into the same holes when in reverse as it made when going forwards..

Edited by mikesc

More time consuming but depending on thread size I will leave the beginning and end threads a little long and do a saddle stitch by hand for 3  or so stitches and finish with both threads out the back of the project. Makes for a nice clean back stitch that doesnt jumble up like what happens sometimes with backstitching using larger thread. 

Ooops , yes, I forgot that one, the "true craftsman's approach", best one of all :)..thanks MADMAX22 :)

Edited by mikesc