Forester

1911 Holster, From JLS Pattern

Hi All.

Thought I would try a non western holster, so I made a 1911 holster from a JLS pattern, thank you Jeff. It is still drying at the moment, will post more pics when it is finished.

Regards Forester

DSCF6540.JPG

DSCF6541.JPG

DSCF6542.JPG

DSCF6543.JPG

Welcome.. download all ya want.. we'll crunch more ;)  For a guy who don't make these, that look purdy good.

If it aint dry yet, do you still have time to bone the back down a bit?  Like , I mean, the flat part ...

1911_black.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

Hi Jeff.

Is the reason it is boned down at the back for retention, because when worn it will not be seen.

Regards Forester

Yep, jus' creatin' a little friction.  Some folks don't like a lot of contour (boning) in the outside to show, but there should be some tension to it.  With a 5" barrel, I mean,... probly not doing handstands with it -- a little tension likely do it.

It's a pancake, so just putting in on the belt will bind on it some (slim fella is worse)

Edited by JLSleather

What weight leather did you use, I used 7-9oz.

Do you sell many of these type holsters. I have sold one of your Avenger style holster's, I think maybe to a collector, theatre or such like, because we are not allowed to carry guns in the UK. Which is a bit frustrating because I was in the British Infantry for 23 years and I feel undressed without a weapon.

Regards Forester

Just another question, do you hand sew all of your holsters.

Leather is 7/8 0z (right around 8).  I sell "some", I suppose it's "alot" to some and not much to others :dunno:    And I do most of the sewing on a machine... though I do some hand sewing occasionally.

Thanks for your reply Jeff, I do all of my sewing by hand at the moment but I have just bought a Singer 29k15, trying to get it up and running, to help with belts and some other items.

Regards Forester

Glad to help.  And I agree, sewing a few holsters by hand is no trouble.  Belts can cause a guy to shop for a machine ;)

Belts are what caused me to call Steve and get a Cobra!!!

Mike

Yeah, I got wunna them too.  My defense, I didn't know any better at the time.  Seen an Adler of the same style... WORLDS apart.  It's more money, but it makes this brown thing look like.. well..   let's just say I like that Adler ;) S M O O T H 

Now tha's lookin' purdy sweet right here.  Love the stitching!

Oh, one thing I meant to mention:  when you mark the position of the 'panel' on the front piece, I like to mark the STITCH line, not the outside edge.  Use the witness marks (at the top) to align it, use the stitch lines for where to put the glue, and don't mark the outside at all.  On this one, the line is visible in the undyed version. Don't think it's detracting at all here, just mentioning it for the future ..

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. I was not concerned about the lines because it was going to be dyed black. But If I make a lighter one in the future I will do as you suggested.

Regards Glen

18 minutes ago, Enoza said:

Which pattern is this? I cant fully determine from the pictures on the site. 

http://www.jlsleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/1911_05P0.pdf

I made one of these for my Ruger Commander.  Very comfortable carry holster.  Getting to where I don't even think about the carry gun being there. If I catch another cow, I'll give the Avenger style a try.  Thank you for the pattern. 

No updated link -  we're out of those. But with a quarter million downloads, good chance somebody got a copy they can send you.  Spread 'em ALL AROUND!