helena

Jerry rigging machines

Granted it is not the right way and with my limited ability I was looking for a shortcut to get going with my machine.my singer 153k103 once I adjusted the needle bar to the right height as defined in the manual the needle I got runs to high for the hook..

I could have the wrong needle 

Or can it get so worn out (the hook casing itself that it runs low) there was durkopp marked hooks with the machine that slid down perfectly however they do not have the other part that the hook rest on with it and I dare not even try.

Should I just lower the needle bar and forgetting it? Assuming it will not hit the foot?

Does anyone know the length in mm for the #24 singer needle?135x16 TRI ?

In the manual it also states that the mechanical opener will cause a bind if it opens to much however I find it to preform opposite, when adjust it in it binds and the hook will not move if I adjust it out it starts moving.

One day I will learn bear with :)

Pulling my hair's out Helena

My 135x16 needles are 44.19mm long butt-to-tip. All needles in that 135x16 system should be exactly the same length and only vary in thickness, and shape of the tip. Normally, needle systems are defined in terms of distance from butt to the eye of the needle as one key metric. 

Usually one adjusts the needle bar height AFTER setting the hook timing position. Get the hook to point at the needle at exactly the right "time", i.e. when the needle has risen a precise distance (check manual) from its bottom dead center position as you turn the wheel towards you. THEN you adjust the needle bar to make the eye of the needle sit a precise distance below the tip of the hook (setting it so the hook points at just below the mid-point of the needle's scarf is a usually good approximation.)

IMG_5884.JPG

Edited by Uwe

Thanks Uwe but page18 in manual tells me feed regulating spindle head to 0 then remove throat plate turning machine pulley until you see the lower mark is just visible at the end of the needle bar. If timing is right everything should be in proper position.

This is how I had to adjust mine since it was set to low. 

I got the machine and it just had tree needles in the box with parts they are 38 mm so it is not then the cat 3370 135x16 I need #24 with a leather tip and my eBay order is 30days lost.but now I know perhaps I am sitting on the 24x1 needles that the Britt's want ;)

IMG_20160618_191437.jpg

Some needle systems are close enough in size to make them work with a minor tweak. Your needles are WAY too short. No wonder your needle's eye is too high. There's really no way you can make those short needles work in that machine - if you just lower the needle bar, it will likely hit the presser feet. Wait for your 135x16 needles to come in. College Sewing in the UK may have better delivery times than some Ebay sellers.

Edited by Uwe

IME College Sewing's deliveries arrive ( via UK parcel post and then French parcel post, not DHL or one of the expensive ones ) within 4-5 days, a lot of Ebay sellers ( not all ) are selling things which are actually in China, and that can take 6 weeks by China post. I agree with Uwe, better to wait a few days and have the correct needles, than to "bodge" a machine and maybe do some expensive damage.

Thanks again I was going crazy not knowing what needles I had.