New Leather apron I made for my shop and also grilling. I think it came out well. Straps and inside of apron is lined with Nubuck. I will be changing a few design aspects on next one, but hope you enjoy it and go make one for yourself.

By the way, I am looking for an apprentice in L.A. area if you know anyone!

apron1.JPG

Edited by Jess Jones

Very neat design! I personally like an apron a little longer, so can't wait to see your next effort.

Cheers

Lois

I sit at my leather bench but I'd like the benefits of an apron. I've thought of making one of some spare chap suede but I've been torn between a short one like yours and a longer one possibly with a split for my legs. Right now I'm favoring the latter because I would like to protect my legs in case of a spill or if I should drop a sharp tool or the like. I'd also put in some purpose-driven pockets for pen/pencil, awl, leather scissors, ruler, etc. -- things I'm always reaching or looking for on my bench (when it gets a bit cluttered).

I appreciate you posting this, Jess. You've spurred me to go ahead and design and make an apron for myself.

Michelle

PS: I wonder what finish you used? A few splatters from some BBQ grease might change your apron's lovely appearance pretty quickly.

On June 27, 2016 at 5:32 AM, silverwingit said:

I sit at my leather bench but I'd like the benefits of an apron. I've thought of making one of some spare chap suede but I've been torn between a short one like yours and a longer one possibly with a split for my legs. Right now I'm favoring the latter because I would like to protect my legs in case of a spill or if I should drop a sharp tool or the like. I'd also put in some purpose-driven pockets for pen/pencil, awl, leather scissors, ruler, etc. -- things I'm always reaching or looking for on my bench (when it gets a bit cluttered).

I appreciate you posting this, Jess. You've spurred me to go ahead and design and make an apron for myself.

Michelle

PS: I wonder what finish you used? A few splatters from some BBQ grease might change your apron's lovely appearance pretty quickly.

I'm think I went a bit too thick on this and so the pliability isn't ideal.

It works great, but next time I won't apply the liner. I think something with a maximum total of 4-6 oz is ideal. I bought this drum dyed. As far as I know it is a veg tan.

But I think there is a market for these aprons that is extremely untapped. Making these and marketing them to wood workers I think would be a great niche business if one is willing to hang tough for a few years in order to gain some fans and bring awareness to the niche. My two cents...

Edited by Jess Jones

Always worth making a couple, then giving them to a woodworker or two to roadtest.   Not only can you then refine the apron's design, but you get your product out there to be seen by potential buyers.

Well, I should have done this a looong time ago!

After getting a nudge from your post, Jess, I took a break and went ahead and made an apron from some chap suede I've had laying around. Unlike yours, it has short flaps to cover my upper thighs, that part of my legs that is exposed as I sit at my workbench. I stitched in a row of pouches for tools and pens and such, a pouch for my leather shears and a couple pockets with cover flaps for miscellaneous items. I've had surgery on my cervical spine so I made adjustable crossed shoulder straps to avoid having the weight on my neck as would be the case with a simple neck strap. The apron fits me like it was made for me (it was!) and the straps don't bind or chafe. There's a little heft to it but in a positive, comforting way.

It is a joy to use. It took me a little while to get used to putting tools back in their respective pockets instead of on the bench top. At first I couldn't find anything as I searched the bench top out of habit, only to find the item in my apron pocket. But once I got into the habit of using the apron, I was freed from the ritual of stopping progress to hunt for a commonly used tool buried somewhere on my bench along with other tools, pieces of leather and such.

And just yesterday a leather strap that I was applying edge dye to got away from me and swiped across the apron -- instead of a perfectly good shirt. I haven't had it happen yet but I've bloodied my legs before with an errant dropped awl or knife. No more.

One last silly little thing. I feel more like a professional leatherworker when I wear it. Now all I need is a Chan Geer-style leather-billed hat to match the cowboy cuffs I also wear to protect my forearms.   :)

Thanks for the idea, Jess!

Michelle

LW Apron-1.jpg

LW Apron-2.jpg

Honestly, Im diggin' that! Great job! Feels good knowing you went out and made one! Looks like great craftsmanship went into it and two thumbs up from me! Loving the leather straps too!!! :rockon: