stacy739

Advise for a Consew 206-rb5

Hello

I just bought a consew 206-rb5. This is my first industrial machine. I bought it from a shop that does custom car interiors. Before I bought it, the guy gave me a thorough demonstration and it worked fine. Now that I have it home and have been working with it, the machine at first was shredding the thread (size 92). I adjusted the bobbin tension and now it is leaving these big loops on the backside of the leather. I'm a complete noob and would appreciate any advice as to how to fix this.

IMG_1986-2.JPG

Edited by stacy739

Tighten the top thread a little at a time till it is where it should be.

Is this maybe a different thread than what you used before or in testing.

It makes me think the bobbin should be put back as was, ? saying because viewing the top line of thread is better.

With that I am considering the top tension should be looked at instead, and the take up spring also, just a good look see if something is clearly loose.

its a start imo

Floyd

Check that your bobbin is not catching or very tight to pull. If it is hard to pull loosen the little spring on the bobbin 1/4 turn and try again.  If it is catching find out why. If the bobbin is good the First thing  is to tighten top tension knob clockwise until you see the knots cumming to the top and then back of until they are middleish. Tension disks are like you gripping the thread between your fingers, the tighter you hold the more it will come in that direction. Thick and stiff leathers tight top and bottom. Thin and softer leathers less top and bottom.

Yes, top tension  is way too loose( but only tighten it in small increments ), normally you adjust the top tension and don't futz with the bobbin tension..you can, but 9 times out of 10 you adjust the top tension and leave the bobbin tension alone..If you run both thick and thin threads in the machine ( but not usually at the same time ;) ), most people keep a bobbin case "adjusted" for each thickness and swap them out accordingly as they change to a thicker or thinner thread..

If it changed that quickly, I would check the NEEDLE before even touching the tension adjustments.  I had one of these machines (still kicking myself for letting it go) and it ran extremely well, all the time.  Thread shredding could well be a "needle issue".

Beyond that, I would also recommend that you get yourself 3 or 4 bobbin cases.  They're cheap ($5-ish).  Set one for each size thread you plan to use.  I had bobbin cases for 69, 92, 138 - and one additional for those rare "other sizes".  Point is, when you want to use 92 thread, then use the 92 bobbin case.  You'll be amazed how much time and aggravation you'll save by NOT adjusting bobbin tensions back and forth.

I always recommend checking the needle AND the thread path before monkeying with other things.  Often it's something WAY simple, like the thread got looped around the tension screw when you pulled the last piece, etc ...

If you don't already have a manual, you can get one http://www.consew.com/view/consew-model-206rb-5

Edited by JLSleather

When my 206 shreds thread, its almost always the needle. If that needle isnt set just perfect, it runs like hell. 

I would take out tue needle, and install a new one, size 21 or 22 for T90 thread. Make sure it is all the way up, and the channel in the needle is the left. If the needle is rotated a few degrees it will shred the thread. 

Then tigjten the top thread tension incremwntally until the it stops looping. 

Check youtube for a video on how to properly thread the 206. Industrial machines have complicated threading, and missing a step or soing something backwards will really mess with your tension. 

Also, black thread is a lot harder to see with because all the dye. I have one spool of black i cant use because its so hard temper, it just shreds. 

Make sure your top thread is between the tension disks, not just riding around the outside.  Has to be between the disks to work.  Recheck your thread path to make sure it is threaded correctly.

Tom

I was about to say the same thing about the top tension disks. It looks to me as if there is little to no top tension. It is sewed fine before and suddenly has loops on the bottom, either the bobbin thread is jammed tight inside the case, or the top thread has jumped up out of the center of the tension disks, or you forgot to thread through the take-up lever.

The Bobbin tension is your issue I bet..you adjusted it.. it shouldn't be tight at all.. you should be able to pull it out of the feed plate hole easy. Also there is a lot of garbage thread out there... they say bonded but it's crap... I use Hemmingway Bartlett Dabond 2000 and it's so nice....Ask me how I know.

Edited by Tulsaman

Great advice here. Can someone with the same tension disk as the Consew post a photo of which disk they place the thread between?? Do you pull the thread over the little knob on the right of the disk?? 

I I have a manual. It's not clear enough. 

When I turn the knob on the tensioner it gets harder to turn, but nothing is actually happening between the disks, which is why I'm wondering if I'm even placing the thread between the correct one. Thx

And for the original poster, I have the same machine and had the SAME problems 6 months ago. Adjusting the top tension solved months worth of issues in like 4 seconds lol

I can't thank you all enough. I'll let you know how your responses worked ASAP.

Maybe this will help?

111w threading 001.jpg

Do you pull the thread over the little knob on the right of the disk?? 

No..as shown by Bob in his diagram just above, and in many videos.. the thread does not go around that little pin..you'll never get the tension right if you put it around that pin..but there is at least one very misleading video on the web that says that the thread does go around it..by a guy whose videos are often inaccurate and whose videos make me seasick..avoid them for both those reasons..

and many videos by others ( I think that Uwe may have made one ? ) that show how to do it properly..that tension unit is common to many machines..

http://www.google.com/search?q=206rb+tension+threading&hl=en&gbv=1&sa=X&as_q=&spell=1&ved=0ahUKEwju2_CXibfNAhVDWxoKHTVtBOUQBQgRKAA

Edited by mikesc

27 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

Maybe this will help?

111w threading 001.jpg

Yes!! This is helpful bob, thanks!! 

But, I still have an extra disk on mine. I have 3 (I think). I'll have to post a photo when I get home. 

I was going to call you later today lol, do you have any used post bed roller foots in stock??

22 minutes ago, mikesc said:

No..as shown by Bob in his diagram just above, and in many videos.. the thread does not go around that little pin..you'll never get the tension right if you put it around that pin..but there is at least one very misleading video on the web that says that the thread does go around it..by a guy whose videos are often inaccurate and whose videos make me seasick..avoid them for both those reasons..

and many videos by others ( I think that Uwe may have made one ? ) that show how to do it properly..that tension unit is common to many machines..

http://www.google.com/search?q=206rb+tension+threading&hl=en&gbv=1&sa=X&as_q=&spell=1&ved=0ahUKEwju2_CXibfNAhVDWxoKHTVtBOUQBQgRKAA

Thx, yes I saw the video of the guy who was wrong lol, actually watched a few times. I will check out this link you just posted!

I ended up taking the machine in for service and it was out of time and the lower disk was broken so that the thread would not stay around the pin while it was sewing (  I'm probably not explaining that well). Just an FYI if anyone comes across that problem again. She is sewing like a dream now.