Matt T

What part did I just break...

Can someone tell me what the piece highlighted in red is called?  I'm trying to find it online but not coming up with anything.  This is a Cowboy 227r.  Thanks

machine_damage.jpg

Edited by Matt T

Latch opener. Discussed here: 

That is the latch opener. Different companies call it different things, but to me, it's the latch opener. The hook tip in blue doesn't usually bend. They are case hardened and will break instead of bending.  It looks like you'll have to remove the basket from the hook to clear that thread jam which is likely what broke your latch opener  

Regards, Eric 

Edited by gottaknow

Sorry!

Its called a Bob part, Some Singer manuals call it a hook latch lever, some Juki manuals call it a inner hook guide.

The hook is pretty tough as far as bending so probably not affected, it looks normal from here but the thread sure is locked in that basket by the screw it looks like, so order a few extra screws with that part in red.

Bummin here dude hope ya get it fixed up soon

Floyd

Hey, thanks all.  I went to wind a bobbin with the machine without realizing the machine was threaded up, and this happened.

I did the same thing one day when my brother came over to the shop to watch me make a nice padfolio. I was explaining how my sewing machine was built like a tank and I never have any trouble with it. Forgot to remove the loose thread while winding a bobbin and WAM! Thread jam from hell.

This happens at least a couple times a week in the factory. Sucks when it's a double needle and you have two jams to deal with. 

Regards, Eric 

Biggest problem with horizontal hook machines is that people do not always pull the new bobbin thread through the shuttle spring