pacostagli

Searching for thread

hi everyone,

I believe this may be my second post here, but I could really use some help. I am a small-time leather craftsman - watch straps, wallets, etc... - and I need some new thread. I believe I am looking for .8mm waxed polyester, however I primarily see 1mm out there. I have found some places that sell .8mm, but in very limited color choices. Historically, I have simply used the thread offered by Tandy leather, but they only offer black, brown, tan, and white. And they don't even have the thread size or material on the packaging, but I've deduced from much experimentation that .8mm waxed polyester it what i'm shooting for - unless there is better stuff out there - very open to suggestions.

does anyone have a thread grail-shop that they can point me towards? I cannot tell you how appreciative I would be - I've been searching for a new thread place for well over a year now, buying samples here and there, but not finding the perfect stuff still.

Paul

Check out Egyptian Leather on Etsy - they offer 8mm Ritza thread.  They are located in Washington state.

Hey Paul

I never tried the ritza but it is supposed to be "the stuff" However .. I did try the braided chinese thread you can find on ebay and it is really really good thread that feels to me to be 0.8 even though they sell it as 1mm. Here is just one seller but there are more than a few. I have no affiliation with this person

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260M-150D-1MM-Leather-Sewing-Waxed-Wax-Thread-Hand-Stitching-Cord-Craft-DIY-New-/252238616921?var=&hash=item3aba97d959:m:mtmPUaU2Fc7zMAqfP0d-YZw

Having said that, it is a little light for most of my work and I have settled on the 1.1 Eagle thread but were I looking for thinner I wouldnt hesitate to use the ebay stuff. Great color and great price.

Take a look at lekoza leather slam thread.   Lekoza.com

everyone - thank you all very much for taking the time to reply to my post! I cannot thank you enough - I plan to try a few of these places out to see what'll work best for me.

Best,

Paul

On 20 June 2016 at 7:48 PM, Boriqua said:

Hey Paul

I never tried the ritza but it is supposed to be "the stuff" However .. I did try the braided chinese thread you can find on ebay and it is really really good thread that feels to me to be 0.8 even though they sell it as 1mm. Here is just one seller but there are more than a few. I have no affiliation with this person

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260M-150D-1MM-Leather-Sewing-Waxed-Wax-Thread-Hand-Stitching-Cord-Craft-DIY-New-/252238616921?var=&hash=item3aba97d959:m:mtmPUaU2Fc7zMAqfP0d-YZw

Having said that, it is a little light for most of my work and I have settled on the 1.1 Eagle thread but were I looking for thinner I wouldnt hesitate to use the ebay stuff. Great color and great price.

I've tried some the Chinese thread too.   It's bit stretchy compared to the tiger thread, but I like having a little collection of mixed colours.   It certainly seemed ok for a couple of wallets I've made with contrasting stitching.

3 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

I've tried some the Chinese thread too.   It's bit stretchy compared to the tiger thread, but I like having a little collection of mixed colours.   It certainly seemed ok for a couple of wallets I've made with contrasting stitching.

I'm with you .. I have the Twin eagle in black, dark brown and light brown and there is one or two other colors I want to own but I like to have some yellow around because .. well I really like yellow ... but I dont think I would ever use the 900m that comes on a twin eagle spool so its nice to be able to grab a still fairly hefty roll of thread for under 10 bucks shipped that I will only use occasionally.

1 hour ago, Boriqua said:

I'm with you .. I have the Twin eagle in black, dark brown and light brown and there is one or two other colors I want to own but I like to have some yellow around because .. well I really like yellow ... but I dont think I would ever use the 900m that comes on a twin eagle spool so its nice to be able to grab a still fairly hefty roll of thread for under 10 bucks shipped that I will only use occasionally.

If you like Tiger thread there are usually some folks on ebay selling colours in shorter lengths on cards. It's not the cheapest way to buy it, but it's a good way to get a selection of less often used colours without having to fork out for full spools. I usually get 40 meters and take it off the cards and spin it up onto old wooden spools.

I think the good thing to me about the cheap thread, against buying little lengths of tiger thread, is that I don't feel 'precious' about using it.   

There again, maybe that's just the Scot in me showing.