Hello everyone,

I made a couple of belts for Father's Day, one for my Father and one for my Grandfather. This is the one for my Grandfather. It is 2 pieces of 6 ounce Asian buffalo glued together so the surface is on the outside and inside. Enjoy!

image_zpsp0upcnfr.jpeg

image_zps98oifxgm.jpeg

image_zpsrhff6foy.jpeg

image_zpssqnoobme.jpeg

I frequently line belts to give a smoother finish to the inside, however I always then sew the layers. After bevelling and burnishing the edges it is impossible to see where the layers join. You have done a good job with your belts but because the layers are clearly visible, for me they look "unfinished", though very strong looking. How did you attach the buckles - are they stitched or riveted?

Glued only? Wonder what the longevity is like not being stitched? Curious to know

23 hours ago, kahale75 said:

Glued only? Wonder what the longevity is like not being stitched? Curious to know

I am TERRIBLE about making things for myself. If I make anything nice I want to share it and so I sell it. Me .. cobbled together junk. So I have a CHEAP walmart belt that was to soft a leather to support my gun. It was plenty thick but just soft. I scuffed the inside which was heavily covered in shiny stuff and glued a piece of 6-7 to the inside and put weights on it for a couple of days. I then took a razor and trimed the piece and over a year later I still use it everyday and it hasnt delaminated.

I wouldn’t trust it at the fold over at the buckle as the only means of attaching the buckle but the two pieces of leather have held firm!? YMMV .. and I am actually really surprised myself.

Boriqua,

I finally broke down and hand stitched a belt with Hermann Oak leather, dyed vinegaroon black, and with blue linen thread.  Looks great, I've been wearing it every day since April, abusing it with a plastic cell phone holder, tossing it about, not a scuff on it, looks fantastic, didn't stretch at all, very comfortable, and looks great.  After I made it, I wondered why the heck I waited so long to make myself a belt!  All the other crappy belts have been relegated to yard work duty.  Do yourself a favor, make something nice for yourself.  It doubles as a sales pitch everytime someone asks about it!

YinTx