Hey y'all, 

So just a quick question before I spend money on trying. I'm hoping someone already has the answer. Is it possible to wet form exotics such as stingray, croc, gator, etc.? I really don't want to have to spend the cash to test this if I don't need to. Thank you. 

TwoFeathers

Hi Two Feathers, I have read that there is ways to do that but I have not ever tried. I always wet mold my veg as a lining so to speak and thin and stretch my exotic and attach over once the veg is dry and set. See attached pic as an example.

38_resize.JPG

DSC05498_resize.JPG

I would have to find the picture of a few sheaths I made with a ostrich knee outer layer. 

Similar to above but I will glue the exotic to the vegtan lining material. Stitch the portions that will not be at the edges like the top of the knife entry point. Wet the vegtan liner and mold like normal. Stitch the outer edges like normal as well. 

One of these isnt really overly wet formed, the others are hopefully also good examples of what your looking for. 

ostrich sheath 004.jpg

shark sheath.jpg

ostrich buck1.jpg

Thanks MadMax22. I appreciate the reply and the help. That's some fine looking work you've posted and what I am trying to achieve with exotics. Thanks again. Sorry for the late reply. 

NP and thanks. 

One thing I forgot to add is that I dont dunk these in water or anything. The exotic is glued to the flesh side of the vegtan so you have the nice smooth grain side for the inside of the sheath then I just sponge or spray the grain side and let it sit for a while. Kind of like casing in a way. I try and not over do it with the water.