Heya,

Here are the first two bifold wallets I ever made and I would love to get some feedback on what things I should improve.

On the two-tone wallet I used braided nylon thread and on the light brown one i was trying out the fil au chinois thread i just recieved. It is like learning to sew leather all over again.

The leather is tumbled veg tan full grain italian leather.

BBccuBC.jpg

W836tIp.jpgwucGvqW.jpgiBWvyL3.jpg

More images: https://imgur.com/a/ytfBx

Edited by jakc3

I can't offer much in critique. I haven't made a wallet yet, so I'll be following this for my own education.

They look pretty good, but if it was me I would have continued the stitching around the outsides to give it a more completed appearance.

Take that with a grain of salt, though.

Keep having fun.

Stitching looks good and your basic design is good but I have to ask, what function does the top piece of leather on each side of the card slots serve?

Also, is the cash slot lined? if so, it should be stitched all the way around to prevent it from separating.

1 hour ago, Halitech said:

Stitching looks good and your basic design is good but I have to ask, what function does the top piece of leather on each side of the card slots serve?

I believe that piece serves as a foundation to the rest of the pockets and it also creates a hidden pocket underneath all the pockets.

Edited by thefanninator

You may be right but the angles of the images are hard to tell. Even the additional pics he posted to imgur don't show for sure but to my eye, it looks like the inside edges are stitched to the inner piece.

Thank you all for your constructive critiques. Yes the wallet is lined and I'm planning to sew the next one all the way to the other side, that will most certainly help with durability.

The card slots do indeed have a pocket underneath and for that there is a thin leather panel to serve as a base for the card slots.

Does anyone perhaps know how to keep the stitches angled when sewing thicker leather (like the edge of the wallet or edges of briefcases,bags etc.)? WIth my current technique they get kinda straightened out and I'd like them to be angled. I'll be recieving a delivery of blanchard pricking irons sometime next week and I hope that will help with that.

7 hours ago, jakc3 said:

Thank you all for your constructive critiques. Yes the wallet is lined and I'm planning to sew the next one all the way to the other side, that will most certainly help with durability.

The card slots do indeed have a pocket underneath and for that there is a thin leather panel to serve as a base for the card slots.

Does anyone perhaps know how to keep the stitches angled when sewing thicker leather (like the edge of the wallet or edges of briefcases,bags etc.)? WIth my current technique they get kinda straightened out and I'd like them to be angled. I'll be recieving a delivery of blanchard pricking irons sometime next week and I hope that will help with that.

The Blanchard pricking irons will help a lot with the angle of your stitch. If it's the 9 tpi iron try using thinner thread. I use size 632 Lin Cable for that iron.

Edited by thefanninator

Try casting your stitches to maintain that angled look.

Start watching the Master at 5:52 to see what I mean.

Michelle

Michelle

What kind of lining leather did you use? I like the wallets, they look great.

Jim