PossumBean

When I can't buy locally, which sewing machine for leather and canvas should I get, and from whom?

Hi,

I love this community of people helping each other, I have read... and read and read, and so now I know that there is no one machine that will suit all of my needs for the rest of my life, I know how a lot of you feel about clones and I feel the same way. I live in an area of the county that has no industrial sewing machine stores remotely near me (29909, Okatie SC) so I will have to buy a machine and have it shipped to me, and set it up myself. I can get a neighbor to help a little bit with physically setting the motor in place.

Buying an industrial sewing machine is mainly because my artist uncle died and left me all of his unfinished and will-never-be-able-to-be-sold paintings. These paintings are on canvas and linen with layers of paint - enough to make probably 70 bags. I have tried to make a couple of mock-ups on my home sewing machine and though it's a trooper, of course I am limited (yes I read the post on the difference between home and industrial) but aside from that I want to sew with thicker thread than is possible on a home machine. I want to add leather trim and handles like on the Kuba cloth bag I made at a leather bag making workshop. 

So I know from my research that I need a cylinder arm, I'd like a binder (I think), let's pretend price is no object (because I think the machines are priced competitively and you get what you pay for) and since there is no one around to service the machine I need one that will not break down (is that possible?). I know I want a servo motor. I believe that a 3/8 sewing thickness will be enough. I think that I need a walking foot. I think in my case it's best to buy a new machine.

The help I am asking for here is if you could please tell me if I should look any further than Juki, and which company you can recommend I buy it from. I looked longingly at a Juki 1342-7. I do love the thread trimmer on my home machine but have heard it is very expensive on an industrial machine. Maybe you will tell me that since I live in such a remote place that it really is not a good idea to even buy an industrial machine until I move somewhere else one day. If that is the case I would really appreciate the honesty. The paintings will not deteriorate with time.

Thank you,

PossumBean

1.jpg

2.jpg

16 minutes ago, PossumBean said:

"...there is no one around to service the machine"

Hi PossumBean

Your bag looks amazing - your Uncle was very talented. There are many others with immense knowledge of sewing machines on this site so I won't comment on that, but on the matter of servicing I use a Typical TW1-2BL20 for seriously heavy duty sewing and we have a guy who travels 200+ miles to our area to service machines every six months. You may be able to find a similar travelling service that covers your area, as these machines do need a regular service. Additionally, I suggest getting all the advice you can on how to perform maintenance on your machine - mine has a hidden oiling point we didn't know anything about until yesterday, and the machine is 20 years old! Not good!

Hope that's slightly helpful.

P.S. My service guy is in the UK so doubtful he will make a call to yours, sorry ;) 

Send a message to CowboyBob.  He likely knows something out your way to help.

Edited by JLSleather

Zach White leather is just up the road from you in NC. They sell Cobra sewing machines I believe.

Thank you AEMcClain, I will look into Cobra, and thank you JLSLeather I will contact CowboyBob. Thank you ThatLeatherLady, both for the compliment re my uncle and for the advice to learn to service my own machine, good advice of course.