craftsman827

Rolled leather dog leads

Dose someone know how they do the "rolled leather" ?

A customer wants me to make a rolled leather dog collar & lead.

Here is a photo of what he wants.

I have an idea, but I need to know the steps of how it's done.

d_h_rolled_leather_collar_and_lead_set_tan_3.png

ive seen tubing inserted, sort of leather goes around the tube if that makes any sense

I think there is a tutorial somewhere on the forum on how to make "rounds" which is the correct name for them. The above example is a cop-out, in my opinion. They have taken a thin piece of leather and sewn it around a length of cord or rope. The "correct" or traditional way involves quite a few more steps and is far superior to the above example. However, it is quite time consuming and difficult to be compensated for one's time.  Another method, still superior to the above, but not considered acceptable by top harness makers, is to slit lengthwise the portion of the strap that you wish to round, fold and sew one layer atop the other, and then proceed with the rounding process. Here are a couple links to topics in which rounds were discussed, however, I couldn't find the one that I was thinking of.  Al Stohlman's book The Art of Handsewing Leather has instructions on how to make the traditional round by hand.
http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/63305-rolled-headstall/?do=findComment&comment=414267

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/60222-can-you-spot-real-rolled-leatherwork/?do=findComment&comment=388534

I use the method in the Stohlman book and it works very well. I had to make my own rein rounder out of oak rather than buy a metal one but once you get the sewing done the rounding can be accomplished in an manner of inventive ways following the spirit of the process.

rounder.jpg

Plinker, how do you hold the rounds for sewing? I made the little thing to go in my stitching horse as illustrated in Stohlman's book, but it only works marginally well. Most of the problem may lie in the fact that I have seen an original attachment that was manufactured for this task. I've only ever seen one, and sadly, it was not for sale. I've never been able to be satisfied with my homemade holder since seeing it.

I did rig one up like Stohlman's and not even sure where I stashed it... haven had to make around for a while but am planning to make a new back pack for myself... I would love to see this rig you saw. Any pictures?

Unfortunately I have no pictures. It is a metal hinged affair that tightens when you tighten the jaws on the stitching horse.

On 6/24/2016 at 7:12 PM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I think there is a tutorial somewhere on the forum on how to make "rounds" which is the correct name for them. The above example is a cop-out, in my opinion. They have taken a thin piece of leather and sewn it around a length of cord or rope. The "correct" or traditional way involves quite a few more steps and is far superior to the above example. However, it is quite time consuming and difficult to be compensated for one's time.  Another method, still superior to the above, but not considered acceptable by top harness makers, is to slit lengthwise the portion of the strap that you wish to round, fold and sew one layer atop the other, and then proceed with the rounding process. Here are a couple links to topics in which rounds were discussed, however, I couldn't find the one that I was thinking of.  Al Stohlman's book The Art of Handsewing Leather has instructions on how to make the traditional round by hand.
http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/63305-rolled-headstall/?do=findComment&comment=414267

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/60222-can-you-spot-real-rolled-leatherwork/?do=findComment&comment=388534

Big Sioux Saddlery,  I just got Al Stohlman's book, " The Art of Hand Sewing Leather "

I have been working with leather for over 40 years. I am going to learn some new things about sewing leather.

Thank you for the heads up. One thing, looks like I will need a rounder.

Edited by craftsman827

You are quite welcome, Craftsman. It was one of the first books I bought many, many years ago when I moved beyond Tandy's tooling packs. I didn't have a stitching horse and couldn't find an antique one at the time, so I used the plans in the back of the book and had one made.  I still use it today. That thing is at least 30 years old. I've also made the "rounds sewing attachment" for it.  It works only moderately well.  It doesn't help that I know of a manufactured clamp to go in a stitching horse exists for sewing rounds:-)  I've only ever seen one, and it wasn't for sale. I think of it every time I sit down to sew some.  Contact Bruce Johnson for a rounder. I think he usually has some.

Edit: Ha, I see that I talked about the clamp above.  Is that obsessive? Ha ha

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

On 6/24/2016 at 11:09 PM, craftsman827 said:

Dose someone know how they do the "rolled leather" ?

A customer wants me to make a rolled leather dog collar & lead.

Here is a photo of what he wants.

I have an idea, but I need to know the steps of how it's done.

d_h_rolled_leather_collar_and_lead_set_tan_3.png

I was wondering if you came right with the above? I've received a similar request with leather trim stitched onto rope (detail similar to the lead handle joint, just thicker). I'm battling with the stitching going up and down the rope. Thinner rope is not so difficult, but I haven't cracked 16mm rope for large collars. I'd appreciate any insight or tips. 

JH Leather does a couple of different methods, here is one.

Yintx

i just bought two or three of these, they were on clearance and were cheaper to buy than the hardware on them. I bought them for the hardware so just cut it off and tossed them in the bin i can deconstruct one if you would like to see how these were made. But they are just a piece of leather for the center then sandwiched inside a thinner piece and sewn down the side and rounded a bit. Store bought isn't as nice as most here would make so deconstructing might not help alot.

He is two more from JH Leather

My preferred method 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2q6fRqGf5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-k5NnM9hY

Here is one from from Nigel Armitage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsPJhIocXzM

You can modify this one you don't have roll all the way up to your fitting by just leaving it as a normal buckle turn. Will not look as refined but will work.

Hope this helps

JCUK

It is more typical of a rolled handle for handbags.  On this one I used 3/8" nylon rope and glued and wrapped it with 4 ounce leather and sewed.  I think my dog would be embarrassed wearing that.  It doesn't look very comfortable.

unnamed.jpg

Edited by mike02130
added info

On 2/24/2021 at 3:10 AM, YinTx said:

JH Leather does a couple of different methods, here is one.

Hi, I am making a rolled leather lead but with a very soft PU Vegan Leather. The finished product is a little stiff.

1. Can you tell me the thickness of rope and is thin better? What I used looks thicker than yours. 

2. Or is the Vegan leather the problem in regards to the overall stiffness.

It’s driving me nuts, hope you can help.

Thank you!