ruinbliss

Leather cutting machine?

Greetings,

Could someone please enlighten me as to the easiest way to cut leather to your exact size, for arthritic hands, fingers and wrists. 

Electric rotary cutters or something like a table saw or sliding compund saw for leather. 

Perhaps even a gullotine style cutter heavy enough for leather. 

Thanks in advance 

Do you mean by this that if a person had arthritic hands,fingers and wrists, what would be the easiest method for cutting leather to an exact size?
 What medium are you wanting to cut and what sort of shapes? Cutting straight lines or parallel lines or or glove shapes?Unfortunantly there are a LOT of different methods for cutting leather and among them I have not seen any sliding compund saws used. I have seen a blade about 4' round like in a sawmill without teeth for cutting like huge amount of thick leather. That was in a place that made round leather strapping as used in some machinery.Lasers and water jet cutters no doubt would be easy on the hands but equally so would a clicker press.

For thicker leather, some have used a bandsaw with good results--using a blade without teeth.  For thin leather a good pair of leather shears might be your best bet, but might be difficult with arthritis.

6 hours ago, Troy I said:

For thicker leather, some have used a bandsaw with good results--using a blade without teeth.  For thin leather a good pair of leather shears might be your best bet, but might be difficult with arthritis.

I want to make knife sheaths and welding chaps. 

Gotta find easiest way to cut straight and curved that is gentle on hands. 

Heavy leather , veg tanned for stamping. 

How does the electric rotary cutters work?

I use a Skil rotary cutter to cut leather up to 5/6 ounce.  Cuts straight just fine.  A little harder with cuts other than gentle curves.

rotary_cutter.jpg

I'll second the recommendation for the Skil rotary cutter or a similar powered rotary tool. I have pretty shaky hands due to Cerebral Palsy, so I have trouble with long straight cuts. You can't do anything fancy with a power cutter, but they are great for zipping through big straight cuts. The combo of clicker dies and a bench top shop press is also a great idea for parts that you cut a lot of. Any part that I plan to make more than a hand full of, I will spend the money to get a cutting die made.   

On June 27, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Glendon said:

I'll second the recommendation for the Skil rotary cutter or a similar powered rotary tool. I have pretty shaky hands due to Cerebral Palsy, so I have trouble with long straight cuts. You can't do anything fancy with a power cutter, but they are great for zipping through big straight cuts. The combo of clicker dies and a bench top shop press is also a great idea for parts that you cut a lot of. Any part that I plan to make more than a hand full of, I will spend the money to get a cutting die made.   

Are the more expensive rotary cutters capable of cutting the thick veg tan leather?

I've cut up to 6oz with them. Getting up into skirting leather 10+ oz might be too thick to fit under the guard. 

Thank You Glendon

Actually our company does manufacture leather  cutting machine. The cutting table is divided into three sections, that is, material-loading, cutting and collecting. Plus, the camera on the beam can not only scan the outline of the material but also have the automatic layout function. The automatic leather cutting machine   maximize the utilisition of material and also save time and human labor.

LCP9027-2.jpg

How is the cutting done MandyChai? I can not see any link.

Google search revealed this:

Thanks Bob, That's a lot of floor space to have for something that looks like it doesn't cut right through that well. I doubt it would be much quicker than my clicker press cutting and the rough cutting edges left would make many products pieces more trouble to fix up later. I presume it is a swivelling knife cutter that if set deeper would eventually tear up the cutting surface.

Hey Rocky dont worry. First,you can adjust the height of the blade, so make sure it just touch the surface of the felt. Two solution: AKI automatic knife initialization can adjust the knife height automatically; Second, you can adjust manually; Besides, the felt is Netherlands imported good quality belt. It can bear a degree of cutting demages. Usually, it can be used for two years