hellomina

Uneven dyeing after casing/stamping

Hello everyone,

I have a problem. I'm making a few watch straps. Basically, I cased my leather and stamped it, but when it came to dyeing, the area where I had wetted the leather didn't dye evenly. I waited until the leather had completely dried before dyeing it, so I don't know why it's uneven. 

I've read here that you should tool/stamp before dyeing, so I don't know what I did wrong. FYI I'm using Fiebing's Pro Oil on Hermann Oak.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

28aWumo.jpg

Edited by hellomina
typo

Couple points here:

• Not all Hermann Oak is created equal.  Sometimes around here people think (and advertise) that it's HO leather, therefore good leather.  Not necessarily the case -- some is better than others.
  • Fiebing's dyes are good stuff, have been for years.  But they don't mix well with water.  Be sure your project is dry before applying oil dyes (the exception being if you are SATURATING with dye, I've seen people "get away with it")
  • For projects that small, I wouldn't concern yourself with "casing" the leather.  Damp sponge across it, stamp, done.

Normally you would case/wet the entire piece you intend to die, not just the stamped area, to avoid the uneven takeup of die. Hope this helps.

Edited by rosiart
correction

I always moisten the piece evenly not just where the tooling stamping is.

And since you are using oil based is would make sense that the moisture  content at different areas would take the oil differently.

Edited by plinkercases