hellomina

Wickett & Craig - Help me choose

Hello,

I recently purchased a side of 3/4 oz Hermann Oak from S&D Trading Co, and wasn't happy with the quality. If I decided to try out Wickett & Craig, which type of leather should I be looking into for making watch straps? I would like the color to be as close to natural veg tan as possible. 

I see they have English Bridle, Tooling, etc. I'm not sure which would be best.

Edit: Qualities I'm looking for is suppleness and mostly taking dye evenly.

Edited by hellomina

Not a watch strap maker so....

What was the issue with the HO? Was it the type of leather, was it just a low grade hide (which seems to be issues with resellers of HO). 

In my experience WC has some very nice tooling leather, you can get there tooling/bridle/skirting all split to the thickness you like. 

In my limited experience the HO is naturally a tad darker then WC, the HO tools very well but finding a good clean quality hide from any of the resellers of HO is difficult. The WC also tools well but have found sometimes cutting WC is a tad more difficult with there tooling leather. All the hides I have ordered straight from WC have been very clean, WC tooling leather is lighter in its undyed state.

Agreed -- W/C "tooling" leather is a bit lighter than HO.  Not white, but not as "russet".

• Tooling:  very light, colors easily.  If you want to be able to dye a range of colors, this is the way to go.
  • Skirting, in drum-dyed shade.  It has no finish, and you can still dye it any color darker.
  • English bridle, will come dyed and color can't be changed (at least, not well).  It's very nice, but then you'd have an entire side of one color.

They'll split it to the thickness you need.  Give 'em a call, and tell them you WANT the split.  This "bottom side" that gets split off would make nice exotic leather straps... just glue snake, lizard, whatever right to the split and go ... :)

I believe you can get W & C tooling in the same colors as their skirting. I got a side of 7/8 recently in their Russet and it oils up to a nice rich color. I almost never dye anything except edges, but I imagine as evenly as it oiled up, it would take dye the same. W & C typically runs softer in temper than HO, so it might be just exactly what you're looking for. I tried uploading a picture of a set of bags I just finished, using the W & C russet (heavier weight than the 7/8, but same color) but it wouldn't load for some reason. Tech savvy I am not.

I just cut a saddle seat out of the butt of a heavy, and it cut like butter. Seems like the drum-dyed brown cuts a little tougher.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

I was just going to ask about the W&C russet skirting! I might just look into getting some tooling in that color, as long as it takes dye well.

(The HO I bought didn't dye evenly. Everything came out splotchy. The hide itself had uneven coloring.)

Thank you for your comments.

I've found that the HO takes a lot longer for oil to migrate through it and even out. I've loved this W & C russet so far. I can try to PM you a pic if you want. . .

Panhandle leather in Amarillo for HO of any thickness.   They will do what they say they will.  That said,  I have used Wickett & Craig for a lot of stuff, medium and small stuff, built saddles from it.  Good leather, always ordered from them direct, was never really unhappy with what they sent.  Myself,  I prefer Herman Oak for saddles but use W/C for a lot of stuff.   Both good, but that is just my opinion.   Ken

I had a back of HO 8-9 oz. great belts, but when I tried to skive a 1.5" strap down through my new, very sharp bench skiver could not pull it through.