Garyrsmith

Tie a fiador for a bosal hackamore, I need a pattern.

I once had a tack making book that had a pattern for tying a fiadore.It has a large fiadore knot around the base knot of the basal. I5Has a small rose knot where the throat latch ties. Thank you for some help.

Gary

dd

1466910411961.jpg

See page 56 of Bruce Grant's (hard bound copy) How to Make Cowboy Horse Gear.

I managed to tie it after several attempts. Good luck!

BB

I don't know if this will help but you don't tie the knot directly to the bosal, you first tie it loosely then partially disassemble it and then reassemble it around the bosal.

On 6/28/2016 at 2:03 PM, Garyrsmith said:

I ordered a new copy of the Grant book from Amazon. Was surprised to find it. Thanks for all the info.

Hi Gary. Do you still have the Bruce Grant book? Was it easy to follow to make the fiadore? I’m thinking of ordering one

Regards Sonia

I learned to tie a fiador knot from this video https://youtu.be/mMcX3ZQM9n4. After tying many rope halters I am now learning to repair and make leather halters.She also has good videos for making the eye splice and butt splice for lead ropes.

Sonia,

Bruce's book explanation is very clear.  I tied my first one with the help of an old cowboy.  He and his new bride rode from Wing, ND down into 'Old Mexico', in 1923-25.  He taught me rope work and a lot more.

I bought the book, brand new, in 1962 on a trip to the big town of Bismarck, ND.  Still have it.

Edited by MikeRock

6 hours ago, SoniaBabic said:

Do you still have the Bruce Grant book?

"Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant was combined with "How to Make Cowboy Horse Gear" to create "Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding." Here is a PDF version of that book for your enjoyment. Check out page 68 for starters.

Encyclopedia_of_Rawhide_and_Leather_Braiding.pdf