I'm starting to get the hang of this holster thing down, though I definitely have a lot to learn. For instance, those darn wrinkles! Ugh! Anyway, here is my fourth holster. Making holsters was the sole reason I started to learn leather working. I'm totally hooked. This is the first piece I've actually sold. I don't count the one I did for my dad. I consider that family helping family. He asked me how much I would need to get started and make him a holster. Naively, I said $150. Ha! I had no idea. I had a few tools, but nowhere near what I needed to complete the holster I had in mind for him. This was a custom job for a guy I work with on occasion. He wanted something special for his Colt Delta Elite 10mm.

This holster is 6-7oz. lined/laminated with 4-5oz. Hand stitched with #207 bonded nylon. Thumb break stiffener is buried between the two layers. The snap is covered by a skived down piece of leather, stitched into the strap. I found a picture of a buffalo skull online, and sketched up my template based on that. I hand carved the letters, didn't have small alphabet stamps and didn't like the fonts available. The filigree knife really came in handy on this one. Dyed with Fiebing's Pro Dye, gently painted around the edges of the skull and letters.

Well, as usual, let me have it. The criticism offered by everyone on this site has vastly improved my work, and I welcome every bit. Thanks again for everyone's help and for all of your comments. If you are curious, here is a link to the one for my dad.

rps20160627_202734_590.jpg

rps20160627_202841_138.jpg

rps20160627_202925_766.jpg

rps20160627_202953_266.jpg

rps20160627_203112_596.jpg

rps20160627_203147_522.jpg

rps20160627_203249_125.jpg

Edited by SLP

Very nice holster...

I think it looks great. The carving is a tad rustic, but there's nothing wrong with rustic. I'm not an expert by any means but I think natural thread would have looked better against the carving color.

Good job.

Looking good SLP, . . . I'd wear this one too, . . . (but I like your Dad's better :) ).

Anyway, . . . just one "kinda" criticism, . . . the snap up on top.  

I bury my snaps on the "thumb snaps" so that all you see are the male and female parts.  The other sides are not shown.  On both this and your Dad's, . . . the cap on the female part will be allowed to rub up against the person carrying it.  In time, sweat will work on that piece of metal, . . . and eventually a shirt will be ruined if the wearer sweats very much at all.  

I have not been successful in finding any snaps that hold up like I would like to have them do in a sweaty environment.  The finish wears off, . . . and the rusting begins on the steel ones, . . . the brass ones will turn a shirt green, . . . make it look like you're starting a little garden there or something.  Either one is a stain that will make the little woman doing the washing very much unhappy with the wearer.

Anyway, . . . like I said, . . . just a "kinda" criticism, . . . nothing harsh.

May God bless,

Dwight

The stitch length may be a bit long for the size of thread.  207 WILL hold it, it's just the look (which is somewhat just personal preference).  And you already mentioned them "darn wrinkles" ...

Over all looks pretty good, though.  I've always liked that contrasting stitch.

Thank you very much gentlemen.

4 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I think it looks great. The carving is a tad rustic, but there's nothing wrong with rustic. I'm not an expert by any means but I think natural thread would have looked better against the carving color.

Good job.

I guess its hard to carve a buffalo skull that isn't a bit rustic looking. I chose a font that I thought would go with the subject matter, even though it was a real pain in the butt.

4 hours ago, Dwight said:

I bury my snaps on the "thumb snaps" so that all you see are the male and female parts.

Dwight,

That's a great idea. That would also solve my "these posts are too short!" problem. Do you use the cap posts or the posts that are designed for the other side with a flat end? I suppose one could also use rivet posts withe the ends opened up.

4 hours ago, SLP said:

Dwight,

That's a great idea. That would also solve my "these posts are too short!" problem. Do you use the cap posts or the posts that are designed for the other side with a flat end? I suppose one could also use rivet posts withe the ends opened up.

For a while I used the same post for both sides, . . . the flat piece that normally goes with the male end.  Then it dawned on my that one day I'm gonna wind up with a bunch of shiny, pretty, caps, . . . that I cannot use, . . . so now, . . . I put em together like they would normally go, . . . you don't see em anyway, . . . and the bulk has never been a bother.

I'm not sure I'd take a chance on a rivet piece for a snap, . . . can be lots of torque applied on a snap, . . . rivet post may pull through.

May God bless,

Dwight

8 hours ago, SLP said:

Thank you very much gentlemen.

I guess its hard to carve a buffalo skull that isn't a bit rustic looking. I chose a font that I thought would go with the subject matter, even though it was a real pain in the butt.

Just to be clear, I do like the carving and the letters.