ruinbliss

Anyone try this?

Tried this last night, and it looked good to me. 

Took a 10 by 10 approx and  sandwiched in between two pieces of plywood and I clamped the plywood down on the by sliding compound miter saw and very slowly started scoring the top and cutting through little by little until I got all the way to the bottom.  I opened the two pieces up and I had a beautifully cut piece of leather that was clean and squarely cut  

Haven't tried that, yet. Thanks .

Well, I've often been accused of over complicating things, but you may have outdone even me.

6 hours ago, msdeluca said:

Well, I've often been accused of over complicating things, but you may have outdone even me.

In my defense, 

I can't use my thumbs or wrists well enough to grab a knife or manual cutter and I dont have any cutting dies for my 12 ton press

9 hours ago, ruinbliss said:

In my defense, 

I can't use my thumbs or wrists well enough to grab a knife or manual cutter and I dont have any cutting dies for my 12 ton press

Would have been interesting to note with your opening post.

I have actually done something similar, but used a template and a bearing guided router bit to cut out a complex pickguard for a guitar. There was a lot of fuzzies made, but it cut the shape out right.

Try your method with a single pass of the saw, or even on a band saw. Might save you a lot of time with the same results. Any extra "fuzzies" could probably be removed on a belt sander.

On June 30, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Colt W Knight said:

I have actually done something similar, but used a template and a bearing guided router bit to cut out a complex pickguard for a guitar. There was a lot of fuzzies made, but it cut the shape out right.

Nice idea!!!

On June 30, 2016 at 0:52 AM, msdeluca said:

Would have been interesting to note with your opening post.

I never come close to writing what I am actually thinking 

12 hours ago, Ken G said:

Try your method with a single pass of the saw, or even on a band saw. Might save you a lot of time with the same results. Any extra "fuzzies" could probably be removed on a belt sander.

I run a thin kerf finishing blade, freud. 

It cuts it without any fuzzies, and takes no time, plus ,  that's how I tend to cut wood anyway ,to avoid a messy  cut