Just finished this up. 2 layers of 7/8 HO for the body and 1 layer for the loop. Fiebings British Tan dye cut with alcohol, then a light coat of NF oil, then Fiebings liquid acrylic black antique, then M&G cut 50/50 with water.

Josh

002.jpg

003.jpg005.jpg009.jpg015.jpg

Very nice.

Great looking holster!

I love the color! Very nice.

Good looking rig   Mike

nice job.....tooling look great

Well done. 

Just a functional question/observation... it looks like the mag release contacts the holster at the point where the flap bends over backwards. Their may be the chance of an accidental release when holstering, or of the grip of the holster is pushed in towards the body fro any reason. then the dreaded clunk when drawn. I always try to keep well clear of the release and safeties in my designs.

And a curiosity question... why the cut out on the flap at the belt line?

And kuddos on the use of the saddlers stamp and finish.

Hello Plinkercases,

Keeping the mag release clear is certainly a design priority that I agree with. Like anything it is also something that occasionally gets compromised. In the picture that shows the mouth of the holster you can see some divots in the leather made by the mag release. This was from mocking it up to take progress pics and review the design with my customer. Once it was actually assembled the leather is just a hair below the release. I would have liked a little more clearance there but I didn't want the pistol any higher on the belt, or any of the trigger to be exposed, or any narrower of a belt loop so I did my best to balance the overall design. Knowing that this is a range use holster only as the owner won't carry a 1911, whether concealed or open played a part in my design. I wouldn't say you couldn't carry with this holster, just that it isn't design built for that. 

The "window" in the back is to straddle a pants belt loop. With it you can center over one of your pants belt loops instead of having to go fore or aft of it. 

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment. 

All the best, Josh

Wow. That is beautiful.

Beautiful work as usual, Josh!

Couple of questions:

What kind of alcohol did you cut the dye with (or does it matter)?
M&G stands for Mop & Glo, yes?

I'm itching to try that British Tan mix out, I always end up with an orange-y color, but I haven't cut it with anything yet.

Thanks BHPshooter!

Thanks Red Bear! 

I just use rubbing alcohol, I have seen where others say to use denatured alcohol. The first time I wanted to try cutting my dye I had plain old rubbing alcohol and hand, so i used it and it worked well. So I've just kept using it. Correct on the Mop & Glo, I cut it 50/50 with water and use it for a top coat. I got the idea from Katsass and it works well for me. I know some people don't like it and that's OK too. 

Anytime I've tried the British Tan without cutting it I get a really dark burgundy. I wonder if the difference is that I'm dip dying. If you're just wiping it on you might try saturating it a little more. I'm not very scientific about how I stain or dye stuff and because of that I don't always get just what I planned on. I do almost always like what I get though.

I say give the British tan a go, it's one of my favorite colors, at least most of the time. 

All the best, Josh

Josh thanks for talking my comment in the spirit it was intended and for the feedback. I do see that a range holster can have a little more leeway (if that's the right word) than an EDC holster.

And good idea on the loop being open to allow for greater placement options around the belt line. Neat....

Edited by plinkercases

5 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

I'm not very scientific about how I stain or dye stuff and because of that I don't always get just what I planned on. I do almost always like what I get though.

That's kind of funny... I always like what you get, too!

Will try the dip dye this time and see what cooks up.

Thanks!!