Doglover

How many dog collars can we make with a skin ?

Hi guys ! 

It's my first post on this amazing forum ! I have a question for you. Trying to figure out numbers. The girl who is making prototypes for my dog accessories company estimates that per skin (average 18 square feet) we can make about 10 medium size dog collar (lining included). If we calculated actual areas and square feet we come up to about 50 dog collars per skin. Is there a way to accuratly calculate how much material is needed ? 

Thanks a bunch ! 

First, I believe you are talking about a side, not skin.

Second, 18 sq ft is not a usable number.  There will be unusable leather on that side.  Too much fat, too many flaws, too much stretch, short pieces, etc. 

Third, if you're going to line them, you might want to use thick leather for the strap and thin or splits for the lining.  Sounds like you are just doubling up.

About the best you can hope for is to measure the side as if cut into a rectangle and hope you get to use 75% - 80% of it.  It will vary by the actual piece

Ok ! Thank you for your answer TomG :)

Also, there are a lot of ways to build them.  Some use more leather than others.  The only real way is to have the experience of your process and take a good look at the hide to see whats useable and what is only good for practice.

Not an expert on this but i bought a 4mm double shoulder and could have got way more than 10.

As Tomg states if they are doubled and thelining that may account but depends on the flaws,quality and thickness i guess. Unless they are stockpiling the scraps! Or they dont possess a strap cutter.

10 collars out of 18 feet?  I'd be unglued, and about no fun at all!

Even for a VERY large dog, that's not right.  I think biggest one i ever did was 2" wide and double thick, and the strap to make it measured about 45" long (22 1/2" twice).  

And again, that's a BIG dog.  Most wouldn't need to be nearly that large.   In general terms, a cowhide back would be about 18 feet, which is  2592 sq inches.  And that BIG collar is 90" (45" X 2"), SO simple math says that's 28.8 collars. Subtract 20% (ish) for waste, and you still get 22 or 23 collars, and that's if they're all for LARGE dogs and all DOUBLE thick.