RockyAussie

Cutting shoulders straight in quicker time

Thanks for the thought it may have some merit I will look into it and let you know how I go. I would like it if I could work out how to suede it up better.PM me your details anyway if you like.

70 more shoulders to straighten up and here is my latest improvement on cutting method. The main change is is that I have secured the straight edge(40mmx5mm flat mild steel) down on one end with a screw with a 1/8" thick bit of leather between the cutting surface and steel.This keeps one end firmly held while I push in my scribe cut. the other advantage is that by putting a Nikko line mark on the table i can quickly see where the leather has to cover and line up to.I often see people asking how to get straight cutting here and something similar may help. Hope the following pics help explain better. Job was easier to do but the time still took nearly 2 hours.

Maybe I was just bludging!!!

DSC02150_resize.JPG

DSC02153_resize.JPG

DSC02155_resize.JPG

DSC02157_resize.JPG

DSC02160_resize.JPG

DSC02318_resize.JPG

Good set-up - thanks for posting the improved version. Nice to see you using a round knife kind of old school like.... and that's a lot of cutting.

Just a note on that point, previously I used to use the the hand knife you see in the 4th picture and swipe through with 2 or 3 swipes. This took a lot longer and I had to resharpen probably about 8 to 10 times to do this amount. I only needed to polish the tip of it once for this lot and the round knife I polished twice. I barely touch the cutting table at all as once the cut is started I pull the strip up a bit and the knife just slides along the scribe mark. This is NOT mellow leather either.

What is the material on your cutting table top?

It is a high density polyethylene as shown in following link. Could not spell it like a lot of things so looked it up and found this. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23751&catid=705

I first starting using this type of material years ago when I made shoe orthotics  and such. Due to it being thermo mouldable I found it to also be useful in casting outer shells for leather moulding cases and such.Being a slippery type of surface it is great for repetitive work leaving no scratches and marks etc. 

That is fairly close to the set-up I came up with.  I like your addition of the hinge point and index line.  I just clamp mine since I'm only doing a few shoulders at a time.

I've also been having good success with a 60mm rotary cutter rather than a head or utility knife.  No need to do a scribe cut; just clamp the straightedge and cut the leather... usually two passes in 8 oz. veg tan.

Also found a good source for poly in the US that sells remnants cut to your size request (if they have a piece large enough). 

More info link

P1010705.jpg

Edited by msdeluca

Thank for the board info. That is what I have sourced here in Toronto so I am on the right track. I do envy the space you both seem to have to work in though... and hey Aussie I just notices your helper hound in the picture. Nice, addition to a shop for sure.

Rocky that is sure to be some production work as I see it, and say the little time I have had one " a rotary knife olfa"  is pretty sharp

Just wanted to be curious with any information you have, as to using one for this work because it would sure give a time and durability test result.

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Hi Floyd, I would be interested myself but the cutting part per shoulder would be only about 30 seconds per sheet if I take out the handling on and off the table and lining up etc. It actually took one of my staff longer to unwrap them and lay them on a table then the cutting part of the job.The beauty of the round knife is that I only needed to polish on a rag wheel with Tripoli twice on this lot. I am always looking for easier and quicker ways but I am dubious whether the rotary knife would work long term wise. I did get a Good improvement on time on the next step today by changing the strap cutters motor pulley from a 2 1/2" up to a 4".This gave a 60% quicker cutting time. :):). I have also changed the speed setting on the splitter and so far is going well but unfortunately I figga I still got maybe another 3 or so hours there to go. Be a lot better if it wasn't for my main competitor in the belt area.:unsure:(love these little faces)