chapelstone

round knife sharpening

At what angle should a round knife be sharpened? Just got a Ken Onion Work Sharp and hope the round knife bevel is one of the preset angles on this sharpener. 

It really depends on you.  You can make it as sharp as you want, down to about 10° per side if you want, that is a 20° included angle and requires a lot on your part to keep it that way.  Read stropping continuously, not pushing into the cutting surface and sticking with pretty good supple condition leathers.  I have a couple of knives sharpened this way, but I know very well their limitations, a harder leather will round them over quickly.  A more reasonable angel is 15° to 20° per side for an included angle of 30° to 40°.  Depending on the knife steel, these hold-up very well, even in very tough leather.  A 30° included angle is very easy to sharpen with a secondary bevel, and can be sharpened quite a few times before a regrind.  Now, you're going to hate me, but it is what you and your knife likes, and your sharpening skills.  The Ken Onion WorkSharp is a pretty good choice for the home sharpener, we use something similar, but a bit bigger.  The nice part about the KO, is that you have it, and that means your knife SHOULD always be sharp.

Art

Thanks, I am new to sharpening. Would you suggest I set angle jig to 20 and then follow their instructions? I have been trying to use a diamond stone 1200 grit but I am not getting the angle consistent.. 

If 20 is the included angle, no, read the directions.  You should probably start a 20° PER SIDE, for an included angle of 40°.

Art

I just got it and need to read instructions. The wheel is marked 15 to 30 degrees in 5 degree increments. 

On the worksharp we use (mostly as a handy flat hone) all the angles are side angles, not included angles.

Art

Thanks for your help. 

Whadidesay?  Actually, I have found that listening to him for a half hour or more will tune your ear to his rhythm and pronunciation.  Then watch again or even another video and it will be much clearer.  Train the Brain.

Art

I understand every word I say.  Then again I have to listen to myself every day. Ah such wonderful harmonics.

Me, I don't necessarily understand everything I say.  Like when the wife says, "WHAT did you say???", and I reply, "I dunno, what DID I say???".

Art

Wow you understand some of the words your wife says. I can never understand my wife. She says something like blah blah blah  nag nag nag

If you REALLY want to know what's being said ... Do not try to use the youtube closed captioning feature.  But if you want a good giggle, try it!

Bill

youtube closed caption is not great at all

Its not ... And it doesn't do accents well at all.