RockyAussie

Embossing with a drill press

Recently I suggested a drill press as a possible way for doing some embossing. This interested me as an advantage with a drill press is that you can turn the table for getting the stamp into perfect alignment, it can be made to level if not quite aligning with stamp, the table can be moved lower for higher jobs like box lids and for some the drill press could easily revert to use for burnishing edges etc. My idea is to get the morse taper blank and fit a block onto it to receive the embossing plate slide holder.This would have to be pinned to stop the rotation.A screw or magnet should work.Second to get a thermostat  connected to the side of the machine and have a bayonet style plug as on computer power supplies and jugs etc.This then can have a way of attaching the cylindrical element which inserts into the block with the morse taper. The last pic should show a similar set up on one of my current machines.Drill press embossing 1.jpg 

DSC08123_resize.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Great idea.

Ive done similar work with drill presses before. The real negarive aspect is the internal components arent designed to withstand a lot of preasure/force and they will break with extendes use. I broke a big one working in a strip mine using it as a press. 

How much pressure do you need to apply for this? Never done any embossing on leather before. 

Hi Colt, I have to admit that I would be tempted to use an extension on the pull down handle but for small stamps I think would be fine. Foil embossing does not need as much pressure as when you want to just heat press it in, and different leathers will need more than others. I would not say it is a better substitute for a good heavy embossing machine but if I were starting out all over again I can see a lot of use in having a good size drill press. The drill press above cost about $350 a couple years back and the fact it could be used for burnishing, hole punching/drilling when you want a consistent line up, horizontal grinding for edges and so on I thought for a beginner it could be a better value for dollar as embossing is not used for long periods when starting out. I will work on coming up with some plans to do this over the next week or so. I know for someone of your skills this would not be much of a problem but I am trying to work out how to make it easy to do for the majority. good idea's welcome.

Branding Irons Unlimited makes a drill press branding iron attachment for the drill press. They way it is built, it is designed to take the downforce to make your mark so I don't think that would be an issue. Install it in your drill chuck, plug it in, wait for it to heat up, then start branding. The price though.....ouch! 

@RockyAussie I would be interested in what you come up with. I have a Franklin Hot Foil Stamping Machine but it is just too small to emboss large objects. I have been brainstorming how to redesign it and make a bigger bed for it but the drill press would be super easy to do. 

Karina