wojtekwpl

Homemade round maul.

Hello. Sorry for my poor english, but is not my native language.

In my country many leather tools is not available. I have to bring them from the others countries. My old maul broke up and I decided to make himself a new one (16 oz and other 24 oz.) The biggest problem for me is to make the hammer weighs exactly 16 oz. and 24 oz. I'm working on weight by trial and error method with poor outcome. Could you give me the dimensions of the components of your mallets? The most I care to size a steel rod (diameter and length) and brass plates for each of hammers. This will help me a lot. Thanks.

Maul.jpg

I've only used mallets and hammers for the limited stamping I've done, so can't help with dimensions.  However, from your drawing, all the components are cylindrical.  The volume formula for a cylinder is Pi * (Radius^Squared) * Length.  A machining text of mine lists the weights for metals as steel - .283 lbs / cu in; brass - .307 lbs / cu in; 6061 Aluminum - .098 lbs / cu in.  In example, if you used 1/4 steel rod 10" long for your center shaft, the weight should be about 2 1/4 oz for that alone.  .125" (half of 1/4) squared = .015625.  Multiplied by 22/7 (Pi) = .049107.  Multiplied by a length of 10" = .49107 cu inches.  Multiplied by .283 lbs / cu in for .139 lbs or 2.22 oz.  At least if I didn't botch my numbers :) You would do better to search out a European material supplier, who will most likely publish weight specifications in metric units you're used to.

:wub:~M

Im sure most maul makers use the weight of or  weights built into the top disc/head to bring them up to exact weights.