earthling33

Juki DNU-1541s part description

A couple years ago I purchased a new Juki DNU-1541s.  I haven't used it much, but now I'm in a position to ramp up my usage and my learning curve.  I have many questions, but one right now in particular.  What is the purpose of the knurled knob on top of the machine above the walking foot.  As you can see from the pictures, the knob appears to adjust the spring tension going to the walking foot.  The spiral around the post coming down from the knob is the spring that I'm talking about.  I'm not sure if this spring adjusts the downward pressure of the walking foot or the tension of the foot lift lever.  I have turned the knob clockwise and counterclockwise, counting turns as I go so that I can bring it back to the original setting.  I can't really tell that anything changes.  Does anyone know, or want to venture an informed guess?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0619 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0621 (Medium).JPG

Adjusts the pressure on your presser foot, and it will affect the pressure needed to raise and lower said presser foot. HTH Ken

earthling, good day!

get 2 "exact" length strips 18" long of decent textile whatever: example- canvas

lift the foot put a piece under, the feet, needle up, now pull the piece of the material by hand to judge the required pull ( it should pull through a bit to judge)

now remove needle, secure the screw

Lift the feet, take both pieces one on top of the other exact in length and of same material. With these put them under feet let feet down. With power on run material as if sewing a line, when at the end "are the ends going to be even" ?

The pressure knob above will clearly have an effect on this by applying more or less tension, you want the material even.

that's all I got, after that your gonna have to go bark with the big dogs because I'm stayin on the porch with an umbrella drink

Floyd

Your machine has two pressure springs.The big one is for the outer foot and the little one is for the inside foot. You can adjust them separately if desired. If the inside foot spring is screwed down almost all the way, the outside spring has little effect. Back off the inside foot pressure and you will have more adjustment over the presser foot.

Thanks guys for the advise and info.

I bought a zipper foot in Ebay and the walking foot made deep impression in the leather.  I thought the foot was defective, but now I think I just needed to make some adjustments.

John

I used to have a walking foot machine with two pressure screws and springs, like yours. When I fully backed off the inside foot pressure spring screw, I could almost get zero pressure on the outer presser foot adjuster.

Super nice machines, congrats

Most times they are sold as sets, the generic ones anyway. I'm not sure on a part number but the bottom surface you may need to have smooth, and a so bit harder to find.

Good point, use of say one other foott part interchangeably, well the stickler is first they may be wider and not fit, that's the nice spoken easy part.  The issue I found is the mounted heights, and in a perfect world this is an adjustment in your manual and should be the same for best results. ( I mean from on set to another )

I think you will find not one of the generics you purchase are the same height and could use some tuning and the factory brand ones to be closer in their build. Its something to study for sure, and I will be interested in your find, on smooth set.

Generally adjusted to be the same and maybe a hair high on center as different in brands adjustment.

There are some on here that may mention some tips for you this week, as I have seen some great work regards to these watch bands. 

Many times people have modified an existing regular set into zipper feet, again the need smooth or is it ok?

Having the ability to change feet without adjustment to be correct is a blessing, and I promise not an easy task to make happen so something to strive for, and its only closer and better with factory or custom parts.

good day

Floyd

17 hours ago, Sticks said:

Hi guys,

Does the zipper foot need to be bought (used) as a set, or will it work with my standard (excuse me if there is no such thing) outer foot.?

Basically put, a zipper foot is a single sided presser foot, with either a left or a right toe only. In the case of a walking foot machine, you must have an inside foot to cause the outer foot to lift and lower. Thus, zipper foot sets are sold as matched pairs. 99% have teeth on the bottom. Some are very narrow, down to 1/4 inch (~6.4mm) total width. Right toe zipper sets usually have the hole offset to the left edge on the inner foot.

If you want a poor man's zipper foot, buy a regular smooth foot set, with a narrow profile, and grind off the right toe from stem to stern. Polish and slightly round the sharp bottom edges of the outer presser foot. This will serve as a left toe set when you need to sew close to the edges. You may have to buy this foot in person to get one that has the left toe close to the inside foot's left edge. Otherwise, you may end up with a big gap between the inside and outside feet.

17 hours ago, Sticks said:

Hi guys,

I am just trying to get my Seiko walking foot ready to be used for the first time.

Ill be needing to use a zipper foot as I am stitching mainly watch straps that are padded in the centre.

Also how is the height of the outer foot raised in relation to the inner (zipper) foot to match the general profile of say a compensating foot, to account for that raised area.?

Hope this makes sense.

Beveled men's belts are factory sewn on straight stitch machines fitted with a curved presser foot and edge guide. The left portion is cut in a broad arc to ride on top of the raised portion, while a very short right portion presses down on the very outer edge. To sew beveled belts on a walking foot machine calls for some creativity.

Your basic task will be to find or make a smooth left toe foot set, then adjust the alternating lift high enough so that the inside foot fully presses down the edge and the outside left toe lifts enough to let the belt move along with the needle feed.

49 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Beveled men's belts are factory sewn on straight stitch machines fitted with a curved presser foot and edge guide. The left portion is cut in a broad arc to ride on top of the raised portion, while a very short right portion presses down on the very outer edge. To sew beveled belts on a walking foot machine calls for some creativity.

Your basic task will be to find or make a smooth left toe foot set, then adjust the alternating lift high enough so that the inside foot fully presses down the edge and the outside left toe lifts enough to let the belt move along with the needle feed.

Are you giving out a sewing tutorial or calling a square dance?...

On 11/2/2016 at 4:50 AM, Sticks said:

Right,

I will try this.

Take a left toe and grind it to a narrow smooth bottomed toe .Which will allow me to be close to the stitchline. I guess it will have a gap but this doesnt matter .

Then I can dremel tool off the bottom of the outer toe to a super smooth finish whilst adding a profile to generally match the shape of the padding. woohoo.

Am I completely mad.??

Not completely mad! Over 6 years later, I am finding this thread and seeing others who have faced same problems as me! Yay!