Anna1980

Dürkopp Adler 869 180122 M Type Cylinder-Arm Machine

Hello to all leatherworker,

I would like to make a dream come true and purchase a Dürkopp-Adler 869 180112 sewing machine. Therefore I have a few questions and would be very happy to hear your experiences and get some help.

First of all, I don't know, whether to buy the 869-180122-M with DA direct drive or the 869-180122 with Efka DC1550 / DA321G? As I'm a little bit old-fashioned and because of my very good experiences with Efka drives, I tend to the second option with Efka DC1550 / DA321G! I would love to know your opinions about this tiopic.

My second question is about the price. Because I'm from Germany, I made a quotation for the machines at Dürkopp-Adler and received an offer for 8100 € plus 19 % VAT. I read in an older post http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/70630-adler-669-m-series/ that maybe it's possible to get better prices, by buying in the UK, Holland or Belgium. Is that right, how much is the price difference and do you have a recommendation for a sewing machine dealer? Ideally in Holland, because it is not really far away :)

thank you in advance and please excuse my english

Anna

First of all, excellent choice of machine. If I could afford such machine I grab it in a hartbeat :) When it comes to choice of motor. I do have the Efka DC1550/ DA321 control box. However, I use it on my 441 machine. That is a very strong motor, very happy with iThe DC 1550 first came as early as 1994. I'm not sure but some of these internal drives and direct drives are Efka too (the first ones where Efkas). The direct drive system is an update/advantage over the traditional V belt drive system, it requires less active components. Therefore, it's less that can go wrong; no belt slippage and less cables/components. Machine do not need the synchronizer head, where on the older motors (DC 1600 and prior to that) the needle positions was adjusted. On the DC 1550 and later motors it's only there to calculate belt slippage. With direct drive you will not have any belt slippage and it's not neccessary. Is there any price difference between the two motor options? personally I would choose a direct drive option, unless the motor used are of less power/quality. That's a much better system than the traditional V belt drive. Ask for motor/control box specs on direct drive option too. The subclass of your choice have all the extras I would ever need on such machine, it still should be possible to add more if neccessary (possibility on control box to add extras like it is on the DA 321 box).

I belive there are huge price difference with different European dealers, not all of them will offer the same customer service prior sale. A economical option for those who do not need that much customer service is Sieck.de. However, good customer service is gold. Efka is well known for their service. I think the price offer you received was a bit high. The classic is more expensive than the Eco. However, Sieck sells the 869 Eco-Efka DC1550/Da 321  for only 3600 Euro. I will advice you to ask several dealers for offers, perhaps Duerkopp Adler offers "brand support" just like Efka does. That means, does not matter where you bought your motor as long as it is an Efka they will support you.  Check out Frank Brunnet GmbH too.  It seems like there are huge differences in price even inside Germany.

Good luck,

Tor  

I forgot to welcome you to the forum Anna, tried to edit my last post but for some reason I was unable to do that.

Tor

Anna, good day

I think they are designed very well for the materials in the general specification range. Where I might look a bit further is if and how much you may sew thicker weight materials.

In  some leather weights over 4oz I think its a good idea, and at this level of purchase to consider a reduction pulley installed for more power. This typical power setup for leather work could not be used on the direct drive, so in my personal opinion no direct for leather.

So a few more choices for your project decisions : )

Floyd

Hi Floyd, I can answer regarding the reduction pulley. I can ensure you both that is not neccessary or even possible in such motor systems. The Efka DC 1550 delivers up to 8 NM of torque, more than enough for any known lock stitch machine model out there without the use of a speed reducer/reduction pulley. (Such pulley can't be used with modern Efka and DA drives because it will mess up the control box calculations, therfore they made their motors strong enough in the first place; strong enough to not need one)

I use my Efka DC1550/DA321 on my 16 inch 441 clone and do not have to use all of its power (The torque is adjustable in the control box, I can turn on more if needed and I never had to to that yet).  The 896 will handle heavy material and thread from Nm 80/3 up to 10/3 (Tex 270) and this are factory specs. meaning it probrably will take more. Perfect machine for leather bags and medium leather work. Heavier options are the DA 969H  from Sieck, prices from Euro 6500 and up.

Tor  

I really enjoy working with the DC1550AB321s as well.