TLP

silver belt tip

How is a silver belt tip attached?  The kind that come with the three pc ranger buckle set,  the buckle, keeper and tip.

Every metal tip I have ever gotten has come with set screws. One thing to look out for though is the belt tip is usually the same width as the outside of the leather belt dim so you have to cut back the tip  on the sides and front the thickness of the metal tip material. Maybe someone will chime in with a neat quick way to do this because while I have made probably 30 or so belts with the metal tip I always find in a pain trimming the leather for the metal tip. Should be easy breezy but .. it never is

You can see the holes on the back of tip in the pic I posted. They are threaded for wee tiny easy to lose screws

belt tip.jpg

Edited by Boriqua

I've seen some with screws, and some with a pin which is part of the buckle tip -- you punch a hole in the leather for the pin, then peen the pin to prevent it from coming out of the hole.

Alex makes a good point, though.  You should make sure your belt leather tip fits inside the metal tip BEFORE doing much of anything to it.  Sometimes - particularly on less expensive "over the counter" sets, the belt width is the OUTSIDE of the metal tip.  So if you made say .. a 1 1/2" wide belt, and lined it, and stitched about 1/8-ish from the edges, you might find out that getting the leather to go in the tip results in cut stitching....

5 hours ago, Boriqua said:

Every metal tip I have ever gotten has come with set screws. One thing to look out for though is the belt tip is usually the same width as the outside of the leather belt dim so you have to cut back the tip  on the sides and front the thickness of the metal tip material. Maybe someone will chime in with a neat quick way to do this because while I have made probably 30 or so belts with the metal tip I always find in a pain trimming the leather for the metal tip. Should be easy breezy but .. it never is

You can see the holes on the back of tip in the pic I posted. They are threaded for wee tiny easy to lose screws

belt tip.jpg

They are also easy to break, sometimes I have to use an awl or something to "pre drill" or "poke" a hole into the leather to keep those tiny brass set screws from twisting off. They will also back out fairly easy, so I use some super glue or loctite.