Revolver Holster Safety Strap  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How many you boys 'n' girls carry revolvers? Prefer the safety strap OVER the hammer, or BEHIND the hammer at the hinge point?

• OVER the hammer
    • BEHIND the hammer

Ho

Actually, I very seldom add a safety strap on most holsters, but when I do it is behind the hammer like on this rig for a custom Ruger Vaquero with an extreme cross draw cant.   Mike

P.S. The holster had to be located by the shooter to his requirements, and then stitched in place.

Vaquero.jpg

Edited by katsass

Yep, that's what I mean by "behind" the hammer.  That one looks like a good candidate for a safety strap!

Just built one for a Taurus 605 that is my new woods gun.  Behind with the snap on the front.  Which leads to another question, can you actually make a thumb break that does not grab the cylinder or anything else?  Hateful things.  Think I'll require all revolver straps snap on the front from now on.  

Well, yeah .. they can be made to get out of the way ;)  Two layers helps, and then DON'T form it around.  SO simple, can't believe I didn't automatically see it in the first place!

I have made three Tom Threeperson style holsters for revolvers.  None of them have a safety  strap.  I can hold any of those holsters with the revolver in it upside down without the weapon falling out. 

You mean you don't carry cocked and locked?

Sorry, bad joke.

Almost all of my holsters are for ccw.  When I use a thumbstrap, it goes over everything. 

thumbbreak-II.png

russet crossdraw III.jpg

russet-crossdraw.png

x-frame-crossdraw-web1.png

It has been so long, . . . I cannot remember the last time I put a suicide strap on a revolver holster.

Thumb breaks, . . . did one just last week, . . . but the strap over just is not at all popular with my customers.

BUT, . . . when I do, it is usually located behind the hammer.

May God bless,

Dwight