builderofstuff

My quick draw knife sheath pattern

Here's my pattern that I used to make the one I posted in the show off section years ago. When I made mine I used two layers of 4-6 oz leather so I had a finished surface on the inside and out. Where the two rivets go I cut small pieces of delrin tubing so the blade didn't ride against the metal rivets. It'll keep your blade sharp much longer. For the belt strap again it's two layers of 4-6 oz and it's cut long enough that when it wraps around the sheath there is a bit of gap, and it's only stitched at the ends, that way you can where it anywhere on your belt and have it facing either direction.

Hope this helps. I did a test print to make sure that the pdf came out to the right size when printed.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

quick draw sheath.pdf

Thanks Buildersostuff for sharing. 

My pleasure

Chris

I'd love to see pictures of any sheaths made from my pattern

Chris

Builderofstuff.com

On 7/14/2016 at 3:56 PM, Watering Hole Leatherworks said:

Thanks for the pattern!

You're welcome

Chris

On 10/20/2016 at 10:02 PM, Mattsbagger said:

thanks gonna try it 

Cool, let me know how it turns out.

Chris

This is too funny! Pops worked the carnivals and biker shows and flea markets, doing leather, tiedye, whatever. For years, I've heard the story (Because that's what old people do, tell stories), about how he and a another fella got a really good deal on a bunch of Cherokee lock back knives. The other fella knocked out one of these cases, they quickly produced a bunch, and sold them with the knives. So he has been carrying one of these for... 15 years now? And with the story, I hear "I wish I had a template for one of these". Kinda surprising, since he's reverse engineered stuff for years.

Anyways, I got home Sunday, and whipped out a working template. Then, I tooled and dyed one for his upcoming 70th Saturday.quick-case.jpg

Cool

Thanks!

Hi Chris - I saw this when you originally posted it in 2016, but I still cannot figure out how you reinsert the knife into the sheath so the tip if the blade catches the upper rivet!  What is the sequence to properly resheath the knife?  Nice design!

Gary

@garypl- The tip of the knife goes in at a downward angle, through a tunnel that is between the 2 sets of rivets. Once the blade is in the tunnel, as you push the handle into the case, the leverage folds the blade back. It does not close all the way, because the front set of rivets.

5 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

@garypl- The tip of the knife goes in at a downward angle, through a tunnel that is between the 2 sets of rivets. Once the blade is in the tunnel, as you push the handle into the case, the leverage folds the blade back. It does not close all the way, because the front set of rivets.

So you unlock the knife, carefully insert the tip and it automatically contacts the two rivets which guide the blade back up.  Seems like it would require more space inside the sheath to do this, but it works, so must be something you need to try to really see how it works!

@garypl-The blade actually doesn't come in contact with the rivets, as they pinch the leather tight. At least, it shouldn't touch the rivets.

I've been really inactive in the leatherwork arena lately so please forgive my not answering everyone's questions. As to the blade contacting the rivets, I actually got some delrin tubing and cut a really short piece that goes over the rivets like a washer, so the blade never touches the metal rivet. 

Chris