Sellier

Stone to use to sharpen skiving knife

I recently bought the high speed steel paring knife (Couteau a Parer) from Vergez Blanchard but it's no longer sharp, taking me ages to skive down the leather edge. I used a King Deluxe sharpening stone made for Makita but that stone is no longer in my possession and I am not sure what to replace it with as it seems to be out of production. What sharpening stone would you recommend for such a tool? 

A 1000/6000 King water stone should do the trick, get it on Amazon.

Art

Whatever stone you use, you'll get a sharper or more polished cutting edge if you use a strop as well, after the stone

You can make a strop yourself from odds & ends; there are videos on YouTube, and a section on this forum

I made my own strop, and for a long time I used Autosol as a sharpening compound. Recently I treated myself to a proper compound - Veritas Green, product number 05M08.1; the results were better

I use this for all my leather tools, including a home made skiving knife I made from an industrial sized high speed steel hacksaw blade

One of the best videos I've seen on sharpening is by Paul Sellers. I've forgotten the exact title, but if you put 'sharpening woodworking chisels by Paul Sellers' into YouTube's search box that will find it. Yes, it's about chisels, but the techniques can be applied to other things

Make a simple slip cover for your skiving knife. That will protect the blade edge from damage, and protect other things from the blade edge

Edited by zuludog

I used to have a king 1000/6000 combo stone for my Japanese kitchen knives. I was given a gesshin 2000 grit stone to try out one day from a friend. You can find the stones at japaneseknifeimports.com. These stones blow any king away but you pay a price for them. I now have a 1000, 2000, 4000, and 8000 stones for microbeveling. But if you have any questions just email Jon over there and he will help you out for not only knives but any kind of blade and steel as he is a steel junkie as well. Hope this helps.