Each time I approach a New Year I feel obliged to look back on the one that just passed and work out what I've learned and what changes I want to make in the year to come. I thought it might make interesting reading if we each thought about our leatherwork and wrote down our achievements in 2008 and aspirations for 2009.

I'll gladly start the ball rolling as I have learned so much in the past year. For a start, I learned a lot about the technical aspects of leatherwork that i hadn't had time to explore before. Casing is a great example. We had a thread that ran for days and days and the knowledge I gleaned changed the way I work. I now add a few squirts of Lexol to my casing water every time I fill the bowl and it has definitely improved the depth and appearance of my tooling.

For 2009, my ambition is to get my workroom finished and make much better use of my tools and machinery. By the end of the year I want to be able to lace a project without returning to the book every three inches to check I'm still doing it right. I also want to meet, face to face, a few more people from this forum and hopefully share some good times with them.

How about you?

Edited by UKRay

Good topic, Ray!

I've also learned an incredible amount (sometime in December was my 1 year anniversery in leather) and I continue to learn from all the wonderful folks here.

I've got a *large* shop behind the house that will one day be suitable as a leather workshop. However, I just don't know if it'll be me working in it. I've had some indicators that an interview for a much better job will be scheduled soon after the 1st of the year. In the short term, I'll still be here, but will be looking at relocating within two years, provided the job works out. At that point I'll probably disappear from the forum for a while as I sort out the new responsibilities. Unfortunately, I'll also have to set the leather down completely.

For my leatherworking aspirations, I'd like to work more on my art pieces, tack, and holster making. That, of course, means getting more good quality leather, and perhaps a stitching machine if I want to do anything that remotely resembles a large volume of holsters, or any saddle work.

Ideally, I'll win a few hundred million in a lottery, purchase a large enough piece of land for my wife's Arabian (horse) stable/business, have a nice little hobby business on the property, be a stay at home dad, and retire comfortably at the age of 35. Frequent trips to leather shows would more than likely be part of the plan too. (They do have helicoptor pads, right?)

Yessireebob, I've got it all planned out.....

Edited by TwinOaks

My new year starts out with a dilema, which may seem obvious to every sensible person, but I've never claimed to be one of 'those'.

For quite a few years I've struggled to eke out a living with this leather business. Sometimes it's seemed like I'm just about rounding the corner and then the orders drop off again and I have to take a side job. Sometimes I'm swamped with a dozen orders at a time and I think "here we go!"

I have been offerred a job with very good salary, benefits, expense paid travel, etc - a no-brainer, right? But it means giving up this elusive ambition and only being able to take occasional leather jobs. It also means losing the contacts I've built up in the motorcycle world. No more middle of the week rides while everyone else is working. It means working 'real people' hours again and wearing 'real people' clothes every day and dealing with very rich people all the time (not my cup of tea)

One would think that having passed the 50 year old mark I'd want to straighten up and fly right and give up those pie in the sky plans, but it's not that easy at all. I've been a gypsy all my life - lived and worked all over the US, Canada and South America. Done every unconventional job - from trapeze artist to dock worker to horse trainer to leather worker and more than I'd care to think of.

Now, at 52, I have the chance to become a 'real person'. Can it be done? Am I selling out this thing that has consumed every minute of my thinking for a decade? Is this poor craftsman lifestyle really that bad? What to do?? :dunno:

For you guys looking at "real jobs"...Take 'Em. Leather can wait. It waited 30 yrs for me to come back full time. As of the 21st, I have started my 60th year, orders picked up quick, and it looks like I'm actually going to be able to squeak by, and keep going. That's not to say, like Ian, that they wont drop off, but the old "Build it, and they will come" always applies in my book.

Sooo...Take the good jobs, build up a little of the Good life, be able to buy a pair of dungarees if you need them. Play around on weekends to keep your fingers in it, and when the Corporate world reminds you that there's a better life out there, the Mistress of Leather will always welcome you back in her loving arms....sheesh what a load of crap that was...lol

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope this one is the best ever.

My new year starts out with a dilema, which may seem obvious to every sensible person, but I've never claimed to be one of 'those'.

One would think that having passed the 50 year old mark I'd want to straighten up and fly right and give up those pie in the sky plans, but it's not that easy at all. I've been a gypsy all my life - lived and worked all over the US, Canada and South America. Done every unconventional job - from trapeze artist to dock worker to horse trainer to leather worker and more than I'd care to think of.

Now, at 52, I have the chance to become a 'real person'. Can it be done? Am I selling out this thing that has consumed every minute of my thinking for a decade? Is this poor craftsman lifestyle really that bad? What to do?? :dunno:

I think the real problem here, Ian, is that you are quite content doing what you are doing. The 'poor craftsman' part of you is actually perfectly happy until the bills have to be paid. I think RDB is quite likely right when he says it may be time to head for the bright lights for a while, build a stash and then see how you feel about returning to the struggle. Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy it as much as Twinoaks is going to enjoy his private helicopter pad.

Now, where were we? What went right and what went wrong, leatherwise, for you guys last year and how are you going to fix it in 2009?

I found this place! :thumbsup:

A lot more things have gone right for me leatherwork-wise since. I know more about the material it's uses and treatment, cutting, tooling and finishing.

I'm a more confident leatherworker and a more competent artist for it.

I would also like to join Ray in expressing a wish to meet more board members face to face.

In fact I'm going to start with Ray!

Happy New Year guys

Karl

For quite a few years I've struggled to eke out a living with this leather business. Sometimes it's seemed like I'm just about rounding the corner and then the orders drop off again and I have to take a side job. Sometimes I'm swamped with a dozen orders at a time and I think "here we go!"

I have been offerred a job with very good salary, benefits, expense paid travel, etc - a no-brainer, right? But it means giving up this elusive ambition and only being able to take occasional leather jobs. It also means losing the contacts I've built up in the motorcycle world. No more middle of the week rides while everyone else is working. It means working 'real people' hours again and wearing 'real people' clothes every day and dealing with very rich people all the time (not my cup of tea)

Ian,

Do what your heart tells you and what you know will make you happy! As a young man I did not do that and I have regreted it the rest of my life! I make really good money but I am not happy with my carrer and hope to some day be able to quit and do what makes me happy (Art in several forms (Leather, painting, airbrushing)). I actually envy you for being able to do leather working for a living!

Just my two cents!!

Brad

I have had a good year an am very thankful for that. Like every one there has been trying times, but for the most part business has been good, my family healthy & me happy.

My beloved mini donkey I had had for over 20 years died but I have nothing but good memories of "Hay You".

Next year I look forward to doing many more awards for SASS and continuing making my things for western stores.

I am so lucky to love what I do so much. I have never had a "real" job, always supported myself with my craft.

My place & all my equipment is paid for so I don't have to charge enormous prices, thus happy working in the wholesale industry.

Also I am diversified enough that when one part of the business is slow something else picks up. I came from a diversified ranch so I learned that early in life, LOL.

So as long as the new year is as good as the old I am happy.

Happy New Year to you too.

Kathy

I can sympathise with you, Kathy. In April of last year we suddenly lost our much loved Quarter Horse, Sundown (pictured Left). As if this wasnt enough my Husband suddenly collapsed a month later and spent a few days in Hospital after having his heart stopped and restarted. After weeks of tests he was diagnosed with a bowel tumour and underwent surgery in August. Thankfully he has fully recovered and is in good spirits. His motto is "every day is a better day".

I was real glad to turn over a new calendar last week and wipe the slate clean. Keep looking forward - dont look back - and keep positive in all you do and enjoy yourself. You dont know how long you are going to be here!

Best wishes to everyone

DJ

We're all put on this planet to be happy. Claudia and I have been pursuing our leather making dream for twenty years and we still have a long way to go before we don't have to worry about the bills. At least we are awake enough to realize that the true reward from our leatherwork is the fact that we get to do it. Most people don't get to do what they love to do. We stopped doing leather for about 3 years in order to bring in a steady paycheck. Cut 21" off of my hair and Claudia and I were on the way to making six figures. Wow . . . were we unhappy. It's what we felt we had to do at the time. So we did it . . . it sure made our families happy not having to worry so much! One day back in 2004, Claudia looked at me and said, " I feel like a rockstar in the witness protection program!" That was it. It has taken the past 5 years to get back on track to relaunch our business again. Sure we've made a few things here and there . . . but if we didn't stop, monetary success would have already found us. Ian . . . don't stop your work is excellent. Dreams do come true. They're going to come true for us because we will make it happen. If you are following the dreams that make you happy you are already successful. I'm the wealthiest person I know and I don't have a lot of money. Here's to 2009. The year Claudia and I will finally have our dream workshop running and on it's way to monetary success. This forum has been a delight. Looking forward to contributing more often.