JLSleather

SLC free shipping nope

I see along with the web site change, springfield has abandoned the free shipping.  Drat, just when I was ready to spend a bunch of money there. :rofl:

Actually, I did just recently place a small order down there.... dye, glue, buckles, somethin' else- can't remember right off.  Order arrived correct and quick.

I saw that. A shame because it was very useful and simple to hit that threshold. As for order correctness, the last three have left me wanting. They've always made it right afterwards which is their status quo, but shipping the wrong rivets.. or when you order a few yards of velcro and only get the male side of the velcro it becomes a nuisance. At least I order ahead most of the time so I'm not waiting at the mailbox for material. I still do prefer ordering stuff through their website rather than other retailers sites. The shipping was fun while it lasted. 

Wow that's too bad. Their stuff is ok and their customer service is spot on, but to be honest the free shipping is what kept me coming back. Seems like I'll be forced to look at other options.

5 hours ago, Mike516 said:

Wow that's too bad. Their stuff is ok and their customer service is spot on, but to be honest the free shipping is what kept me coming back. Seems like I'll be forced to look at other options.

not only you..

even updating their website is still not much informative.

now free shipping have been killed.

This really stinks...:wacko:

glad i got my last order in prior to this happening. 

lucky for mr i have a friend that comes to my location from springfield a couple times a month. they let him pick up for me

I was on the phone with them last week and I was going to buy one bottle of stain I needed. The girl reminded me if I spent over $75 I would get free shipping. I said I would wait until this week and order more stuff when I got my list together and I could probably hold off on the stain until then. She said that was a good idea and said nothing about the shipping change.

she probably didn't know. its the same as when the tandy rep walked in & told them they could no longer buy tandy products at the elite or distributer rate but rather they wold have to pay full price. knowing slc it won't last long & they will be able to secure the 75 & free again

Yeah, I posted this so folks would know.  Truth is, I wouldn't have a problem paying the shipping if they send me WHAT I order WHEN I order it.  This last order, they did that quite well.  But that hasn't always been the case.

I remember "back when", I ordered HO backs.  What I got came with bellies on it.  Some genius cut the wrong way... instead of cutting off the belly they cut off the shoulder :crazy: 

If paying the $7-10 shipping allows them to pay for someone in the shiping dept who can READ, then I'm all for it :)

Edited by JLSleather

Can't say that I blame them as I was actually surprised when they started offering it ,  both UPS and FedEx had price increases this year and if I'm not mistaken they changed what is considered "over-sized". Pretty sure you can't ship a box big enough for a rolled up side of leather for less than $30-35.

only issue iv had is two ends bent on a lacing chisel. they corrected that right away

5 hours ago, Mhicks said:

Can't say that I blame them as I was actually surprised when they started offering it ,  both UPS and FedEx had price increases this year and if I'm not mistaken they changed what is considered "over-sized". Pretty sure you can't ship a box big enough for a rolled up side of leather for less than $30-35.

Companies that ship in large volume ship large and heavy boxes for prices you wouldn't believe. The biggest cost SLC was eating is the cost of labor to package everything up and the cost of shipping materials. I grabbed a beer with my favorite rep the last time I went to pick out my leather and we discussed shipping charges. A few weeks before Christmas I needed three sides of 6-7 ounce leather to make some bags and I did not have the time to make the trip to the tannery. He shipped the three sides for free Fed-ex, so when we talked about shipping charges I asked him how much it cost to ship those three sides and he told me it cost about $12. They ship a ton of leather so they get great rates and that was a heavy ass box.

With SLC I noticed a huge price increase on a few things I get from them when they started offering the free shipping deal. I used to buy the 20 pound box of Veg Tanned Horse Scraps for $30 and after the free shipping went into effect, the price went up to $55. Most of the other small things I order went up slightly but not enough for me to quit buying them like the horse strips.

Well, yeah.  Not sure why, but lots of folks don't seem to grasp the "volume" thing.  SLC and others certainly SHOULD have brokered a better deal than most of us get.  But that's true on the things they sell, too.  Does anybody really think they're paying the same for HO as you 'n' me?

Back to the shipping thing, HO send me 10 sides and the shipping is $50 (ish).