dgkfit

Drive belt-driven bobbin winder adjustment

Hello,

I have a small problem with the drive belt-driven bobbin winder on my 441 clone.  This type of winder is on Cobra Class 3, Cowboy 3200, Nickosew 441-S, and other shorter arm 441 clones.  Even though I have a Cobra Class 4 with its internal bobbin winder, Steve and David were nice enough to send me a Class 3 / belt-driven bobbin winder for free!  Much praise to their customer service! 

Here is my small problem with it:  After many adjustments of what I call the "slider bar", it refuses to put the thread evenly across the bobbin.  It starts out good, but ends up with it on either one end or the other.  This disengages the winder, putting less than a full load of thread on the bobbin.  Does anyone have any tips as to how to adjust the slider bar to make the thread go on and end up evenly across the bobbin?  Thank you  Dale

new-bobbin-winder-PIX800.jpg

I may be all wet with this (and I know if I am someone that knows for sure will chime in), but I think you need to adjust the tension assembly at the opposite end to the left or right to adjust how the bobbin fills. I have used that method when I had a similar problem and that fixed it. Based on your photo, I would think you would want to move the tension assembly slightly to the side opposite to the side the thread is piling up on. 

I just realised, looking at the photo, that none of my winders have that "guide bridge" thingy and all seem to work ok without it (although I must admit that sometimes I run the thread through my fingers to guide it).

One thing I did on my machine was to make sure that the concave piece the thread slides back and forth across is perfectly smooth. I lightly sanded it down when I noticed the thread was not sliding back and forth smoothly. I figure there may have been a tiny burr on it. I used the finest sandpaper until I could take a piece of thread and lightly pull it back and forth with no sticking. 

And try fiddling with the tension spring too.

Edited by daveottawa

Convex..it bulges in the middle ..That piece bulges..so is convex..
Concave.. goes inwards in the middle..like a cave..