asamimasa

Tandy Carriage Thread

Just got the email saying that Tandy will be carrying Carriage hemp thread soon. Anyone have any experience using it yet? Heard murmurs that it might be Amy Roke thread, but these were supposedly refuted by the manufacturer....

Haven't tried it but my local tandy had some last time I was in. I'm happy with Maine Thread Co's thread which I can get 70yards for under $10.00 compared to 100 yards for 45.00(CDN) for the carriage thread. Even with shipping to Canada, Maine thread is cheaper and has more options, both in size and color

I just purchased the carriage thread from Tandy, although I am going to attempt using it in my CB3200 tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

On 10/11/2017 at 5:40 PM, SamSeitler said:

I just purchased the carriage thread from Tandy, although I am going to attempt using it in my CB3200 tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ran Carriage thread through the CB3200, worked and looked great. If only it was sold in large spools.

I have used this thread and I have to say it's one of the better hand sewing thread. The thread is solid, not to waxy, hold up well with my pulling.In my opinion, it's comparable to the ever popular Chinois Lin Cable but at the price of $24/each for less than 100meter I think the Chinois Lin Cable is a better value.

The reason this is a superior thread is because of the thread fibers themselves. I have been working with allot of threads natural, and synthetic alike. Doing a study of textile fibers in weaving and still studying new fibers. And I have been workimg with Hemp for over 25 years. As I studied Hemp as a durable fiber, I discovered its natural uses in binding items, fishing nets, and jewelry alike. Its wicks out moisture and naturally dries. It does not rot like conventional linens does. It will last four times as long as linen. I use the Ritza Tiger thread and and Fil Au Chinois thread as well. Although the carrage thread is awesome, it is as well you all know more expensive. I would only use this thread on high luxury items or items that need an extra strength alternative to synthetic fibers. 

I really like this thread. i was able to pick some up on clearance at the tandy store for like $4.00 a spool a while back. got like 4 oddball colors but one was burgundy and ive used it the most.

its very nice but i dont use it much anymore as Ive switched over to a finer.45mm twist brand waxed linen thread. Although currently waiting to order some meisi xiange twist waxed poly as ive heard only good things.