14 mm isn't cool. Dang.

Thanks Bob.

38 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

14 mm isn't cool. Dang.

Thanks Bob.

What size do you need?

51 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

What size do you need?

The motor burnisher I bought has a 1/2 and 5/8 bushing installed in it. I already have mine set up on an old Jacuzzi pump motor. 

I was just thinking your servo motor would be an easy fix for speed control at a reasonable price. But as things stand today I can't afford to pay attention. So, it was mostly pipe dreaming.

On 05/11/2016 at 6:43 AM, bikermutt07 said:

So, it was mostly pipe dreaming.

I do lots of that too :lol:. I think you'll find your setup is perfectly adequate without a speed control.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

I do lots of that too :lol:. I think you'll find your setup is perfectly adequate without a speed control.

It hums pretty fast. Just haven't had anytime at the bench the last few weeks.

You inspired me, bikermutt, so here ya go!

The motor came with one of the sewing machines I bought - the WSV77, the head unit was fine but it had a home-made table, which I junked, and had this motor (1/4 HP, 1425 rpm, made in Canada and it's old!). I stripped the motor and found it had bushings, not bearings, but there was no slop in it so I oiled it up and away it went. A simple wooden mount so that it's portable and can be clamped to a bench/table along with a switch on the end.

The burnisher is a made from a Blackwood tree that I cut down a few years ago, I had turned a few cylindrical pieces and put them aside to dry. This one had the least amount of splitting!! The motor shaft is 1/2" (so I can't use the burnishers that I made for my grinder) with a hole through it so I drilled the burnisher to fit the shaft and then drilled a crosshole and screwed a metalthread screw through the shaft hole and tapped into the wood.

I'm also tempted to make a burnisher from aluminium, just to see how it would work. Maybe later, once I've cast a suitable cylinder.

burnisher a.jpg

2 minutes ago, dikman said:

You inspired me, bikermutt, so here ya go!

The motor came with one of the sewing machines I bought - the WSV77, the head unit was fine but it had a home-made table, which I junked, and had this motor (1/4 HP, 1425 rpm, made in Canada and it's old!). I stripped the motor and found it had bushings, not bearings, but there was no slop in it so I oiled it up and away it went. A simple wooden mount so that it's portable and can be clamped to a bench/table along with a switch on the end.

The burnisher is a made from a Blackwood tree that I cut down a few years ago, I had turned a few cylindrical pieces and put them aside to dry. This one had the least amount of splitting!! The motor shaft is 1/2" (so I can't use the burnishers that I made for my grinder) with a hole through it so I drilled the burnisher to fit the shaft and then drilled a crosshole and screwed a metalthread screw through the shaft hole and tapped into the wood.

I'm also tempted to make a burnisher from aluminium, just to see how it would work. Maybe later, once I've cast a suitable cylinder.

burnisher a.jpg

Well that is awesome. According to whats been posted here you should be in good shape speed wise.

So glad this inspired you.

Reading elsewhere here has shown metal to be a poor burnisher as it disaptes heat too quickly. Aluminum just won't warm up enough. But that is only something I read. I haven't tried it.

Yeah, I read the same thing about using aluminium, but I'm a bit curious (besides, I like turning ally on the lathe, it's real nice stuff to work with).

My grinder-mounted burnisher is running at twice the speed (2850 rpm) but it actually does a good job at burnishing. It will be interesting to see which one does the better job.

Sam Andrews uses an aluminum spindle for slicking in his holster business and it obviously works great for him.

Fast forward to 8:18 in the video below...

How deep those grooves in the cocobolo wood burnisher should be? About 1/8''?

The one on mine are about that or a tad deeper. I have also read that treadmill motors work well having a built in speed control.

Rej, that video was pretty great. 

Thanks Rej, I knew I'd seen one somewhere, that was it! I'm definitely going to make one now.

5 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

The one on mine are about that or a tad deeper.

Thanks! I'll go with 4 mm. Will make one out of cocobolo wood, and use a frequency inverter for speed control.

Gigi, I'd try it without the speed control first, you may find that it's not necessary. As I mentioned I've been running my "original" one at full speed with no problems, and it looks like Sam is doing the same in his video.

Edited by dikman

He had a lot of cool stuff in the video. At 15:45 or so he goes back to the burnisher (aluminum) and mentions keeping the edge pretty wet. This was something about fibers drying out and sticking to the burnisher or something like that.

On another note, he showed me I was using way too little neatsfoot oil. And his tips for wet forming were great.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:51 AM, dikman said:

Gigi, I'd try it without the speed control first, you may find that it's not necessary.

You are right. My problem is: I have only one phase 220V power available and I'm using the inverter to get 3ph 220V power for the motor. Also I'l use the same setup for 3 different finishing wheels and brushes and those may require different rpm and the inverter will help. 

Doesnt anyone use a drill press?  They are variable speed and the Beary burnishers (the ones he used to sell here) chuck right in and you are done.

I don't have the space for a drill press. Plus I got the motor for free.

I did use a drill press, but now have other motors for burnishing and use the drill press with a horse hair buffing polishing brush running around 7 to 900 rpm the brush is great for black dyed items.  the brush came from Pilgrim shoe and sewing machine but was a little pricey  

Fair enough, Gigi, in your case it makes sense to use a VFD/3 phase motor setup. Should give you some flexibility.