soccerdad

Best machine-sewing video tutorials?

Could you all please paste in links to the best leather-sewing videos you know of? I've got my first machine -- a 441 type -- on the way and am eager to start off right. Thanks for your suggestions.

Arthur Porter you tube

Here's another one.

There is a videos page on the Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines' website, demonstrating setting up and using Cowboy 441 type machines.

I get a kick outta the Springfield Leather video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU4bLRelCtA

Here are some basic skills from Al Bane: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhhAV7nVLSY

:)

Edited by coryleif
urls weren't automatically hyperlinked

Try to stick to the ones from the machine supplier.  Around here, you'll get a LOT of "advice" which is nothing more than someone repeating what they heard from someone else.. and may or may not be worth anything at all.  Seriously, I've received "advice' and "tips" and "recommendations" about machines from people who don't own that model (and in some cases, don't own one at all).

Oh, if your supplier doesn't offer any instruction, simple manual, etc... maybe get a new supplier?

Windham sewing machines has a great instructional video of a Juki Model LU-563 which is also applicable to the LU-562, Singer lllW-155, and other drop in bobbin walking foot machines.  21 sections, timing, replacing timing belt etc.  Call 860-564-8252 ask for Tony Luberto

3 hours ago, Tonywinsew said:

Windham sewing machines has a great instructional video of a Juki Model LU-563 which is also applicable to the LU-562, Singer lllW-155, and other drop in bobbin walking foot machines.  21 sections, timing, replacing timing belt etc.  Call 860-564-8252 ask for Tony Luberto

Welcome back Tony!

Marking for later.

1 hour ago, Yetibelle said:

Sorry I can't resist. 

I think you should have :lol:.

Nevertheless, it's a good video of how not to sew something.

Edited by dikman

.....Um....Even though I've seen some of his videos before..each time a few minutes that I'll never get back, lost to the twilight zone of tacky video effects and surreal background tv soundtracks, but that..

That was traumatic.. like a sewing equivalent of a 20 car wreck on the freeway, bits of mangled and mauled dead cow all over the place, and one of those horrible, nasty sailwrongs complicit in the butchery..and "manly scissors" ( yes..I watched part two, in case it turned out to be a joke..it didn't )..felt like a sewing equivalent of the shower scene from psycho..

Think I'm going to have drink and lie down for a while and try to think happy thoughts..

Edited by mikesc

Yeah the first time I saw that I thought.  This must be a prank....how can Salerite leave that up there? Plus who would sew like this, for real?  I was tearing-up it was absurd.  I have a 221 featherweight that sews leather better than that.

Still he makes a great effort, if you read the YouTube comments, he follows up - he will use a better machine for leather next time.  

Good idea... 

Man, that just keeps you on the edge of your seat. The suspense and the tension just keep building but that sewing machine held together and just kept in going. The ventilated leather trick was a bonus throw in and the magnetic guide thing, well what can I say!!!. I think he could have done even better if his front foot was an open one and he could see a little better when he reversed stitched, but he could perhaps improve on his attention to detail a bit. It's great when people like Vince go to such efforts to share their knowledge and in such detail. Like Mikesc above said, Im ready for my lie down now as I already had my drink.:cheers::oops: