I recently bought a Cowboy Cb4500 and could not be happier with it.  I got 277 thread with the machine and two sizes of needles 180/24 and 200/25, in 7x4 Diameter, the 180/24  for if I use the 277 on lighter leathers, but I was looking at perhaps getting some 138 thread thread for some lighter leather projects.  On Cobra's website I seen they had some 135x8 that can go up to size 22 needle for use with 138 thread.  I was curious what the difference in 7x4 and 135x8 needles in leatherpoints are?  I figured I would just order 7x4 in size 23 for 138 thread, but was curious what the difference in the two types of needles are?

There is a huge difference between 7x4 needles and 135x7 needles. The 7x4 needles are almost 1" longer and the shank is quiet a bit thicker. You can get 7x4 needles in size 22 or 23 for 138 thread.

So likely I've got 7x4 for a reason for my Cowboy 4500, and should stick with those.  I did not know if there was much difference and if it were just a point of preference.

I am using 794S , size #23 needles for #138 thread with my CB4500 . Works great on my wallets ...you can see it bellow. 

DSC00890.JPG

15 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

I am using 794S , size #23 needles for #138 thread with my CB4500 . Works great on my wallets ...you can see it bellow. 

DSC00890.JPG

What is the setup for the feed dog and presser feet that you use for those. Looks good. 

I am using a left presser foot for most of my work...if not for everything i made so far . I had to "shave" off the feed dog a bit to work with a custom made plate that has a narrower slot. This way the lighter materials don't "sink" as much in it. Also the new  plate doesn't hang over the edge of the arm like the original one ...that allows me a bit more clearance when working on wallets .There are few pics in my gallery here showing that

Edited by LeatherLegion

On 7/19/2016 at 7:37 PM, LeatherLegion said:

DSC00890.JPG

Looks very nice.  I bought 7x4 leatherpoint needles off of Cobra's webpage, size #23 for the 138 thread that I purchased.  Hopefully I can make it look as nicely as your wallet turned out, but I have quite a bit of practice yet to do.  I like how minimalist that wallet is, what are the thicknesses of leather you use on it?

1 hour ago, dallyfoster said:

I like how minimalist that wallet is, what are the thicknesses of leather you use on it?

The wallet is made out 4-5oz veg-tan....both outside and inside. I am only using the "S"  point needle for everything i make . Thanks !!!!

5 minutes ago, LeatherLegion said:

The wallet is made out 4-5oz veg-tan....both outside and inside. I am only using the "S"  point needle for everything i make . Thanks !!!!

Ok, im new to the whole sewing machine stuff, what is the difference between the 7x4 leather point I bought and the 794s?  

On 7/22/2016 at 0:19 AM, LeatherLegion said:

I am using a left presser foot for most of my work...if not for everything i made so far . I had to "shave" off the feed dog a bit to work with a custom made plate that has a narrower slot. This way the lighter materials don't "sink" as much in it. Also the new  plate doesn't hang over the edge of the arm like the original one ...that allows me a bit more clearance when working on wallets .There are few pics in my gallery here showing that

That looks great, looks like just the key for doing the job. Did you have it made local or have a contact for someone that can make them. 

Thanks.

As a rule, I like one size smaller needle than some use.  For 138, I like a 22 needle, though it seems difficult to get those with a chisel point.  #23 for 207 thread, etc.  And I like the LL point needles personally.. fills in the holes (I hate holes) and doesn't leave the look of "space between" the stitches.

The 135-series needle is SO much shorter, will it even WORK in the 441?  I would think it don't bring the loop down far enough...

5 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

That looks great, looks like just the key for doing the job. Did you have it made local or have a contact for someone that can make them. 

Thanks.

I have a friend of mine , machinist, that does a lot of work for me.same guy that makes my small hot stamping units.  There are few other guys  interested in the plate , so i might get few of them done at once and offer them for sale

Edited by LeatherLegion

A few years down the line and another new guy reading about similar issues an the choice of smaller needles for projects as I start out with a 4500. Did you ever have plates made and put up for sale?