I am new to leatherwork and have only made a couple of items. I saw a photo of a coin purse on the web and thought it would be a good opportunity to use up some scrap leather and try making my own pattern from the photo. I knew i had messed the snap position up near the start of the project but I though I had to see it through and complete it. Pity because I thought the pattern sort of worked. We live and learn

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well the leather work looks pretty good.

You could always add an extended strap. If you do it right it would looked like you planned it that way. Looks good otherwise.

Nice stitching and edging not to bad, can you not get an invisible cap under the lid piece?

I am going to take lesson learned (slow down and take my time) and have another go.

Good you pushed through and as has been said your stitching and edging look real good for someone who has only made a few pieces. Keep it up!

I think we all have done something like this. I made a bag looked great but the top was to stiff and the zipper cut into your hand every time you tried to use it. But its how we all learn.

Good work, Dunluce!

Your stitching and edges are great having only started. And you definitely made the right decision following through even after you realized your mistake. Look at all the experience you would have missed otherwise! A less intelligent leatherworker would have tossed their work as it was hoping to quickly move beyond the evidence of their error. They would have learned nothing and would probably be destined to repeat their original mistake.

I have a "boneyard" of projects that failed for one reason or another. I keep them as reminders to avoid those mistakes in the future and to revel in how much progress I have made since I made them. My good work is being used by my many satisfied clients.

Keep it up!

Michelle

16 minutes ago, silverwingit said:

Good work, Dunluce!

Your stitching and edges are great having only started. And you definitely made the right decision following through even after you realized your mistake. Look at all the experience you would have missed otherwise! A less intelligent leatherworker would have tossed their work as it was hoping to quickly move beyond the evidence of their error. They would have learned nothing and would probably be destined to repeat their original mistake.

I have a "boneyard" of projects that failed for one reason or another. I keep them as reminders to avoid those mistakes in the future and to revel in how much progress I have made since I made them. My good work is being used by my many satisfied clients.

Keep it up!

Michelle

I do the same thing for the same reasons. I don't think I have ever thrown away a mock-up or screwed-up project. 

Everyone, thanks for all the positive comments it really gives a bit of a boost

When I have a new idea to try I do a trial run from stiff paper or thin card; like breakfast cereal packets or old potato sacks scrounged from my local greengrocer; separate the layers it's a damn sight cheaper.

Stick the pieces together with tape or staples

I met a professional leatherworker who does the same thing. He said it might take a bit longer, but not much once you get used to it, and saves scrapping some top class leather. After all, that would be his profit gone, and probably more