I see many requests for manuals for Singer Industrial Machines.  Some have gone unanswered, and some are subject to long and tedious discussion with either no satisfactory answer, or an answer hidden deeply away.  Of course, there are also plenty which have been answered quickly and succinctly.

By doing some research and seeking out some of those hidden answers and others less hidden, I think I have found all of those that have been asked for, as well as many others.

I am not an expert, and don't claim that this is an extensive list, but it is a pretty good start for those trying to find the manuals, parts lists and service manuals.  

The list I have attached starts with a few of the sources which are very helpful.  All of the manuals listed are free, and I suspect the list owners would appreciate it if you can send them any manuals that they are missing.  So before you pay for a manual, check these lists first.

I hope this is a quick answer for many of your questions about manuals.

I would really appreciate any additions to this list - please add links in your responses.

Singer Industrial Manuals –.pdf

Edited by Trevor Baret

Very impressive, Trevor. Now, if you really want to go down in sewing machine history, try and find some manuals for the Singer SV models!

:lol:

Thanks Tom,

I am a novice and new to this forum, but I have read many posts here and am on that steep learning curve.

I was looking for a manual for my 17-8, and decided to look here.  That is when I found that many readers are looking for manuals.  So I looked through all of the answers and that helped me with my own research.  I found what I was looking for, and more by following various links.

I started making a list for myself and for my own machines, and realised that such a list might help others.  It wasn't much more effort to add the other links to my list, so it was a pleasure to share.  I hope it makes a few lives easier.

I have become a little obsessed with my small collection of Singer machines.  I started out in leatherwork just wanting to make some belts, bags and small braided items (like the bracelet I am wearing as I write) and whips.  I live in Australia, so it just seems obvious to be using Kangaroo for my whips and braided belts - the classic "stockman's belt" used by Australian stockmen through our history.

I was looking for a machine to work with light to medium weight leather, and that started my obsession with Singer machines.  My wife, who loves corsetry and is making corsets with leather, and I first looked at some of the old domestic machines.  We started with a 201K, and then found a better one.  Soon we had about eight of these machines and used the best parts of them all to make three great machines - one older style 201K electric from 1953, then a similar machine from 1937 with a hand crank, and finally a newer style from 1954 (the aluminium body machine) 201k electric.  We were able to sell all of the others on eBay, in better condition and working order than when we bought them.

But that wasn't enough for the leatherwork, so Kylie found a "semi-industrial" 103K.  Having now had three of these, we have a beautiful 103K, also from 1937 which has a few (very few) parts from the other two, which have since been sold on eBay.

I bought a 31K20, but it had been restored by a long term industrial machine professional and had a domestic base, so it could not be used. So I kept on looking for alternatives and kept on learning.

Our current collection includes -

• three domestic 201Ks described above
  • 103K Treadle from 1937 - runs perfectly and sews beautifully - great for Kylie's fabric corsetry.
  • 31M32 with the crinkle or "Godzilla" finish - a beautiful old machine which runs perfectly and is great for the leather corsetry and my light leatherwork
  • 307G2 - for fabric - twin needles and zig-zag
  • 31K18 - wheel feed and roller foot 1937 - perfect for leather, light to medium weight
  • 31K48 - wheel feed and roller foot 1945 - perfect for leather, light to medium weight
  • 17-8 - cylinder arm with alternating walking foot.  Previously used in a shoe making and shoe repair shop - great for many of my leatherwork purposes
  • 29K58 - Bootpatcher cylinder arm walking foot machine from 1937.  Perfect for those tight spaces and the rotating head is so useful.
  • 45K25 - Cylinder Arm machine with rolling foot from 1943.  This is a saddler's machine which will handle more than I ever need, so it will handle my heaviest leather work in belts and harnesses.

...and I now have satisfactory instruction manuals and parts lists for them all (even if not for the exact model).

The 31K18 and 48 are essentially the same, so I am putting together the best parts from both to make the best combination machine to keep, then selling the other.  Probably keep the 48 body and mechanism and just change the balance wheel, needle plate and slide plate, and a couple of other cosmetic bits.

So - that's where I am at in Leather sewing machines - far from expert, but learning fast.  I will be asking a couple of questions in another post.  

Now that I have properly introduced myself, I look forward to "meeting" many members of this forum both online and offline.

I hope some readers can add to my list with manuals for other machines which are of interest to this particular group of leatherworkers.

Trevor

15 hours ago, Trevor Baret said:

I see many requests for manuals for Singer Industrial Machines.  Some have gone unanswered, and some are subject to long and tedious discussion with either no satisfactory answer, or an answer hidden deeply away.  Of course, there are also plenty which have been answered quickly and succinctly.

By doing some research and seeking out some of those hidden answers and others less hidden, I think I have found all of those that have been asked for, as well as many others.

I am not an expert, and don't claim that this is an extensive list, but it is a pretty good start for those trying to find the manuals, parts lists and service manuals.  

The list I have attached starts with a few of the sources which are very helpful.  All of the manuals listed are free, and I suspect the list owners would appreciate it if you can send them any manuals that they are missing.  So before you pay for a manual, check these lists first.

I hope this is a quick answer for many of your questions about manuals.

I would really appreciate any additions to this list - please add links in your responses.

Singer Industrial Manuals –.pdf

For anyone needing a Singer Manual this type of link file would be a real big help. I believe it should be pinned and added to in time. Thank you for your kind contribution to all. 

1 hour ago, dikman said:

Very impressive, Trevor. Now, if you really want to go down in sewing machine history, try and find some manuals for the Singer SV models!

:lol:

Hey Dikman,

Not seeking historical mention.  Just doing research for myself then sharing it...

Trevor   :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

For anyone needing a Singer Manual this type of link file would be a real big help. I believe it should be pinned and added to in time. Thank you for your kind contribution to all. 

Thank you Rocky,

Sounds like north QLD - is that right?  Would love to get my hands on some of that salty skin.

Your comments are kind - I really appreciate that.

Trevor

Yes QLD Rocky is right. Backstraps not much problems I've got about 2 to 3 thousand here ,but belly skin nearly impossible. I mostly just contract make for most of the croc farms and they want the products for their own sales... There's a cold one ready waiting for you see below. Regards Brian

DSC05240_resize.JPG

Rocky, I like it :). (And the beer, of course).

Trevor, welcome to the forum, I see you've already found how strangely addictive these old machines are! :lol:

this is the only original 45k owners manual you will find on the internet: 

regards ,jimi.

Hey Trevor I'm just wondering did you get my P.M.?

12 hours ago, jimi said:

this is the only original 45k owners manual you will find on the internet: 

regards ,jimi.

Thanks Jimi,

I do believe you are right.

Regards,
Trevor

Another source for parts lists for singer machines -

http://www.dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/SINGER CONTENTS.htm

...and for other brands -

http://www.dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/PARTS MANUAL.htm

Thanks to Dixie...

I have been hand lacing & sewing leather projects and I'm now shopping for a sewing machine that can handle approximately 6 - 8 oz. leather. I mainly make bags of various sorts and sizes. Craigslist seems to be a rich source for purchase possibilities but I know just about nothing about sewing machines so I have been doing some reading about them on Leatherworker.net and at other sites as well.

Any help with these would be much appreciated:

1)  I'm in Long Branch, NJ. Is anyone aware of reliable, local sources for machines (preferably used/cheaper)?

2)  Someone is selling a used Singer  211 G156 for $700. It includes a table. He says it belonged to his deceased father-in-law so he knows nothing about its history. He reports (and it appears to be the case) that the machine was well cared for. Though he knows even less than me about machines he's firm on the $700 price. Any thoughts about this machine for my purposes? (Note: I'm going to try to insert a photo of the machine below.)

3)   Are there a few specific machines I should have on my short list?

4)  If I want to line a bag with fabric should I shop for a specific/separate machine to do that work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Also, thank you all for this website. I am finding that it is an incredible resource; certainly the best I have found thus far.

Joe

00r0r_d4bTcZpALyd_1200x900.jpg

If that 111w156 is in working condition and not seized or rusted, or missing parts, that is a reasonable price (high end of reasonable).

There are some things I can tell you from looking at the photo.

1. It has the rare push down reverse lever (thus a sub model 156).
  2. It has a clutch motor, meaning you will have to learn to feather the clutch, or buy a replacement servo motor and different v-belt.
  3. It has a small machine pulley on the flywheel. This means it probably sews very fast.
  4. If the pulley on the motor is about the same diameter as the machine's pulley, it will sew as fast as the motor turns. If the motor pulley is larger, the machine will sew extremely fast.
  5. Machines that are geared like the above don't have a lot of punching power at slow feathered speeds.
  6. Walking foot machines geared high are typically used to sew long runs of upholstery, awnings, tarps, banners and boat covers or sails.They can sew leather but require feathering the clutch and using the little hand wheel for detailed work.
  7. If it was mine, I would have a 2" motor pulley for better control at slow speeds. Better yet, I would recommend adding a speed reducer to also boost the torque at starting speeds. I would also get a larger diameter handwheel/pulley.
  8. From the photo the entire machine and table appears to be complete.
  9. It uses the narrow right floor pedal to lift the presser feet, rather than a knee lever. I have the same setup on my long body Singer walking foot machine. It's six of one and half dozen of the other. Some people sew while sitting on a stool, or standing up. That makes a floor lifter a necessity for raising the feet while keeping both hands on the material.

Thank you Wizcrafts. The info you provided is very, very appreciated. 

Joe

The Singer list is good and most people know about it, but most of the machine manuals people are looking for are not on that list, that is why they are writing and enquiring.  If you need manuals then I sent out what I have free of charge via email.... I have the 132K6 series, 133K8 series, 45k flatbed and cylinder arm, Adler 20 series, Champion, Pearons no 6 and A1 and so on.

Don't be afraid to ask, I send out on average about 5 manuals per week.

Edited by Singermania

Parts Lists; http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/

User Manuals; http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/

Service Manuals; http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/

Note that Singer has made a number of errors when uploading this data such as the "45k101 & 45k102" user manual is actually the 451k101 & 102 manual.

Hi Trevor and the other Aussies

Most Singer manuals can be had if you look long enough or ask the right people, having said that I'm not sure I've come across any of the Singer 133k darner manuals.....the 132K6 yes, 133K8, 17 cylinder arm.yes.... but not the 133K13 etc darners....

On 23/07/2016 at 1:53 PM, Trevor Baret said:

Thanks Tom,

I am a novice and new to this forum, but I have read many posts here and am on that steep learning curve.

I was looking for a manual for my 17-8, and decided to look here.  That is when I found that many readers are looking for manuals.  So I looked through all of the answers and that helped me with my own research.  I found what I was looking for, and more by following various links.

I started making a list for myself and for my own machines, and realised that such a list might help others.  It wasn't much more effort to add the other links to my list, so it was a pleasure to share.  I hope it makes a few lives easier.

I have become a little obsessed with my small collection of Singer machines.  I started out in leatherwork just wanting to make some belts, bags and small braided items (like the bracelet I am wearing as I write) and whips.  I live in Australia, so it just seems obvious to be using Kangaroo for my whips and braided belts - the classic "stockman's belt" used by Australian stockmen through our history.

I was looking for a machine to work with light to medium weight leather, and that started my obsession with Singer machines.  My wife, who loves corsetry and is making corsets with leather, and I first looked at some of the old domestic machines.  We started with a 201K, and then found a better one.  Soon we had about eight of these machines and used the best parts of them all to make three great machines - one older style 201K electric from 1953, then a similar machine from 1937 with a hand crank, and finally a newer style from 1954 (the aluminium body machine) 201k electric.  We were able to sell all of the others on eBay, in better condition and working order than when we bought them.

But that wasn't enough for the leatherwork, so Kylie found a "semi-industrial" 103K.  Having now had three of these, we have a beautiful 103K, also from 1937 which has a few (very few) parts from the other two, which have since been sold on eBay.

I bought a 31K20, but it had been restored by a long term industrial machine professional and had a domestic base, so it could not be used. So I kept on looking for alternatives and kept on learning.

Our current collection includes -

• three domestic 201Ks described above
  • 103K Treadle from 1937 - runs perfectly and sews beautifully - great for Kylie's fabric corsetry.
  • 31M32 with the crinkle or "Godzilla" finish - a beautiful old machine which runs perfectly and is great for the leather corsetry and my light leatherwork
  • 307G2 - for fabric - twin needles and zig-zag
  • 31K18 - wheel feed and roller foot 1937 - perfect for leather, light to medium weight
  • 31K48 - wheel feed and roller foot 1945 - perfect for leather, light to medium weight
  • 17-8 - cylinder arm with alternating walking foot.  Previously used in a shoe making and shoe repair shop - great for many of my leatherwork purposes
  • 29K58 - Bootpatcher cylinder arm walking foot machine from 1937.  Perfect for those tight spaces and the rotating head is so useful.
  • 45K25 - Cylinder Arm machine with rolling foot from 1943.  This is a saddler's machine which will handle more than I ever need, so it will handle my heaviest leather work in belts and harnesses.

...and I now have satisfactory instruction manuals and parts lists for them all (even if not for the exact model).

The 31K18 and 48 are essentially the same, so I am putting together the best parts from both to make the best combination machine to keep, then selling the other.  Probably keep the 48 body and mechanism and just change the balance wheel, needle plate and slide plate, and a couple of other cosmetic bits.

So - that's where I am at in Leather sewing machines - far from expert, but learning fast.  I will be asking a couple of questions in another post.  

Now that I have properly introduced myself, I look forward to "meeting" many members of this forum both online and offline.

I hope some readers can add to my list with manuals for other machines which are of interest to this particular group of leatherworkers.

Trevor

Hi Trevor, 

Ok this is my second time posting on this site but my first post wasn't answered and I can't seem to find the link anymore. Anyway, I recently found a singer 103 sewing machine at a local store and I like to find out more information about this machine(I see here, it's one of the machine in your collection), may I know is this a domestic or industrial machine? What is it capable of sewing? What kind of needle and thread can I use with it? Does it sew leather? How thick of leather can it handle? I would like to hear from you or anymore with information on this machine. Cheers! 

Edited by Parfektionisto
Wrong spelling

The Singer 103 is a light industrial machine, I'd think designed for the rag trade.   However it will sew leather in small thicknesses.   I'll leave some more details to the guys that own these machines.

20 hours ago, Parfektionisto said:

Hi Trevor, 

Ok this is my second time posting on this site but my first post wasn't answered and I can't seem to find the link anymore. Anyway, I recently found a singer 103 sewing machine at a local store and I like to find out more information about this machine(I see here, it's one of the machine in your collection), may I know is this a domestic or industrial machine? What is it capable of sewing? What kind of needle and thread can I use with it? Does it sew leather? How thick of leather can it handle? I would like to hear from you or anymore with information on this machine. Cheers! 

Here is your first post.  

If you go to your profile at the top right of the page, you can see a listing of your posts.

Tom

The Singer 18 is good for thin leather to 1/4" maybe 5/16 & only has a bottom feed that can leave marks.

Yep agree with Cowboy Bob, I believe it was originally designed for light leather and like the heavier 45K25 was issued with the roller foot.