JLSleather

WHAT THE @!@#!#~!

Just found listings on ebay by springfield leather.  Listings (more than one) say " Ordering "B" Grade means that Hermann Oak will send Springfield Leather Company the Best Grade Tannery Run Leather at that Time.

What ya think?  Honest mistake?  Are they merely confusing "B" with "tannery run"?  Suppose it would do any good to point it out?  The listings are a bit confusing to me, but they end up being about $15 per foot (some 15 with free shiping, some $13 with $2+ shipping, etc).

Man .. After i went to the trouble of defending them for charging shipping again ..

where is Rusty?

Prolly busy.  I see they have ads on ebay, etsy, and amazon --- don't know how many others.  And I got an email today that they processed my small order.  A bit pricey, but not $15 / foot pricey. :dunno:

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Prolly busy.  I see they have ads on ebay, etsy, and amazon --- don't know how many others.  And I got an email today that they processed my small order.  A bit pricey, but not $15 / foot pricey. :dunno:

did u order some B grade HO leather? ) )

56 minutes ago, nrk said:

did u order some B grade HO leather? ) )

Yep, I did.  Realized only too late that I have almost NO 4/5 oz.. so we'll see what they get me.  I'm more honest than a lot of people care for, really. If you treat me good, I'll tell people that.  If you don't, I'll tell 'em that, too :blush:

I will say that not ALL the leather they sent me was "bad".  I did get some they immediately got back, but I've also got some that was bearable -- and  I don't mind paying a bit for the convenience either long as it's USABLE.

On the other hand, not just them but suppliers in general.... Just thinkin' out loud really.  

For those who sell on ebay, etsy, or amazon --- then these suppliers are marking up materials more than 100%  (double).  H.O. "B" grade would cost me $7.40 per foot, though I doubt that a distributor is paying that (educated guess, cuz I sure aint "in the loop" ;)  ).

Now, if they're paying $6/ft, and you're paying $15 per foot, then you're paying 2.5 times the material cost as the people whose products you are competing with.  

Doesn't bother me personally :dunno:  Maybe I just think too much ...

You might look into Goliger Leather in Ventura CA.   6-7 OZ "A" grade is $9.49 a foot. 

Thanks, Bob -- exactly my point ;)

Hey Guys, 

I'm new to this forum. I'm Italian and I work in leather business in Italy. In Santa Croce, one of the best place to start a leather business. I see you have problem with suppliers and I'm with you. A lot of time you find very high price for medium quality leathers. Working in this field I know it's very difficult to little buyers that don't buy in bulk (required if you go to a tannery) and they only need small quantities. 

I could suggest some online shop in Italy which have very low prices compared to us suppliers. I bought some leathers for my clients on BuyLeatherOnline (search it in google) and their hides have a very good quality. There are also other online shops if you search carefully (but I have not bought from them). 

I hope this message could help you. 

Bye

Package came in from SLC.  Suppose it legit to give 'em some credit when they git one right?  Everything there, just the way I ordered it, at the price i agreed to, in reasonable time. And the leather -- tho not 'stunning' - is okay for what I'm going to do (belt liner).

On 7/28/2016 at 3:33 PM, Gmv89 said:

I could suggest some online shop in Italy

Thank you very much for the hint! It is very nice of you to help some other small buyers like myself: I find it difficult to find good leather at a reasonable price.

On 7/30/2016 at 9:05 PM, gigi said:

Thank you very much for the hint! It is very nice of you to help some other small buyers like myself: I find it difficult to find good leather at a reasonable price.

Did you end up buying from them, and how was it? Their prices seem very reasonable. Also cause I am in Singapore and we have next to no leather supplies shops around. 

On 7/28/2016 at 9:33 AM, Gmv89 said:

I could suggest some online shop in Italy which have very low prices compared to us suppliers. I bought some leathers for my clients on BuyLeatherOnline (search it in google) and their hides have a very good quality.

I did look at Buy Leather Online, and choked when I saw Bellies for $44. That aside, how much is shipping going to add, bringing that leather to the States?

17 hours ago, Lee547 said:

Did you end up buying from them, and how was it?

No, sorry!