Here is a custom order I just finished and sent out to it's new owner this past weekend.  He wanted a cover to hold a hard bound field notebook with floral designs in the corners and the state of Texas in the center with his initial and a star for where his corporate office is located.  It was originally supposed to be basket stamped around the state but after a few unsuccessful tries we ended up using a Robert Beard matting tool that gives an effect like fiberglass, and the final result turned out great, much better that the original basket stamp idea.  Finished it off with round braid on the edges,  Due to the thickness of the leather it took a long time to lace the whole thing.  Just heard from the customer tonight that he received it and he said he "cannot say enough good things about it."  That is the best feedback I could hope for.

front.jpg

back.jpg

inside.jpg

5 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

Very nice!

Is that pigskin lining and  pen loop?

Yes Sir, it's a thin pigskin from Tandy.  The outside is a side I picked up from American Leather Direct, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.  It tooled very well.  I'll probably be purchasing more leather from them in the future.

Bob

Very nice. I have started using pig for the lining on my padfolios because I love the texture and the thinness makes it easy to work with.

Absolutely Colt, its been my lining of choice pretty much since I started making these.

I love the look of it. Great work.

Chris

Beautiful.

I know very little about carving, but I love the way you set the corner florals outside of the border line. That's a clean and classy look.

Thanks all!

Nice job, Bob! 

I like American Leather Direct as well.  Their saddle skirting has a softer temp then Hermann Oak and it tools really well.  Turns a nice golden russet color when oiled.

Tom

That looks great Bob,could you tell us about the finishing,oils,blockers, dyes,...etc.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:52 AM, Tommo said:

That looks great Bob,could you tell us about the finishing,oils,blockers, dyes,...etc.

Hello Tommo,

I oiled the leather using Neatsfoot oil (and yes Kelperts, it did get a really nice color from it) and then I applied Wyosheen (formerly from Sheridan Leather Outfitters but now distributed by Barry King) as a resist.  I then antiqued it with Tandy Eco-Flo Tan.

thanks, Bob

Bob,

As always you did an excellent job. I am glad to hear that you like American Leather Direct's leather. A great leather and fantastic service .

David

Thanks for the reply Bob,like it so much I've ordered some tan antique...nice job indeed!