HC009

diy draw gauge for curved pieces of leather????

Hi,

I am fed up with cutting pieces of leather by hand and was wondering if anyone had made on here a cutting instrument the same thing as a draw gauge.  I have had an idea to stick a blade into some wood and pull the pieces through it on a table - I have wide pieces of leather with curves so I would follow the line of the blade.  Has anyone done something like this as it seems to be a faster way of cutting leather?

Knife by hand? What kind/weight of leather? What is/are your products?

If you follow the curves. Pretty quick your curve is gonna be a sharp point or sharper than you want to cut around. Then you'll have to straighten the piece by cutting the points off. A guy I worked for years ago tried that and ruined a side of leather.

Two comments that usually dont go together -

"I am fed up with cutting leather"

"I am a leatherworker/craftsman"

Just a random thought and experience...  I do all my cutting with X-acto knives after cutting the main piece from the side with a utility knife. Anyhow, I was working on a piece for an inlay and changed the no.11 for the third time, I put it up and decided to cut out some blanks. I was about to change it again and figured, let me just strop it a sec.  HOLY CRAP, how did I never do this before? Rather than three passes of moderate weight so as to follow the line, it went through the 9 oz I was cutting on one swipe.  I thought they were sharp, that touch of polish and it was like night and day.

Trip